A Station Eight Fan Web Site
That Nyrtleka person is right to say I love the Guatemalan gargoyles. Zafiro's my favorite in the whole series!
1. If, say, GARGOYLES is revived, would the garg clans from the Avalon World Tour (Guatemalan in particular;) appear again?
2. Did you have any other plans for the Guatemalan gargs? I'd love to see Zafiro and gang again.
1. Yes. For starters they needed to recover the Sun Amulet.
2. Yes. In particular, a descendant of Zafiro's (also named Zafiro because of the Sapphire pendant he wears) is likely to be a major character in my revamping of GARGOYLES 2158.
Again, I gave myself hours to try and get through April. And I failed. Now, I'm beat. I'll try and finish off that month soon.
And now the big SHOCKING announcement. I've been giving a lot of thought lately to GARGOYLES 2158. And I may be doing a significant reworking of the idea. For starters, I'm no longer sure I want to set the events I have in mind for the series in 2158. So the first thing that may change is the title. More info to come, once I nail some thoughts down. (And since I don't have any kind of deadline, it could take me a while.)
My questions are on the London gargoyles.
1. Are Una and Griff mates? In "M.I.A.", Una seemed to be in love with him. If they ever were mates, will they ever have eggs of their own?
2. Do any London gargoyles appear in Gargoyles: 2185?
I liked those guys, and would like to see more of them.
1. No. Griff disappeared before they could mate. Una eventually mated with Leo.
2. Eventually, I'm sure we'd meet some London Gargs in 2158. (Hell, who knows who would be in the cast by 2185?)
The thing that most intrigues me about "Gargoyles 2158" is the element of what gargoyle/human relations would be like in that period. In the present day, of course, the big problem for gargoyle/human relations will be that the bulk of humanity believe gargoyles to be simply wild beasts or demons rather than sentient beings, and so hunt them down. But you've indicated that by 2158, gargoyles are now realized to be sentient, have become tolerated (though not altogether accepted), and now have a "Protected Minority" status. With that in mind, I'd like to ask a few questions about life for gargoyles in 2158 (if the answers vary for individual clans, please pick the one that matches life for the Manhattan clan in 2158):
1. In 2158, are gargoyle clans subject to human laws, or are they still self-governing?
2. Do they hold human citizenship, with the rights and duties that come with it (i.e., voting rights, paying taxes, jury duty, etc.)?
3. What sort of relationship in general do the gargoyles have with the police in terms of their patrolling their protectorate? As in, how do the authorities look upon the gargoyles' protection work against criminals, on the whole?
4. Are gargoyle hatchlings still taught by the adult members of the clan, or do they have to go to human schools?
2. Some of the above, not all.
3. It is sometimes a source of conflict. Though not everywhere.
4. Human schools aren't practical, as most human children go to school during the day.
I have a few questions, which concern my favourite gargoyle/human relationship (and the only gargoyle/human relationship I know about). Now down to the questions:
1) When you say that, the Goliath and Elisa's "wedding", will be way, way down the line, do you mean before 2008 or after 2008?
2)Would any of Goliath and Elisa's kids or grankids, be alive in 2158? (When I first heard that Samson would be Goliath's grandson, I thought he was Elisa's granson aswell. Just thought I'd let you know.)
3)Would their kids even live as long as gargoyles or as long as humans?
1. I don't know the exact date. Gradual progression. I'd think before 2008 however.
2. No, Samson isn't Elisa's blood grandson, though in human terms he would be her step-grandson, and in garg terms you could certainly call her one of his rookery grandmothers. As for any other children of "the Marriage of Goliath & Elisa", I'd like to keep that a secret for a bit longer.
3. Can't say without giving too much away.
Hello I'm a really big fan of Gargoyles, I watch the show all the time.
Well here's my Q.
Is there anywhere on the web that your spin-offs are in print, or are they only at the gatherings?
Pretty much only at the Gathering. But you can get a lot of info on them by checking the following ASK GREG archives...
What would Demona be like reformed wise by 2075?
Since this questions seems to have been lost, I'll ask it again-
What is the significance of choosing the year 2158 as the time for the future Gargoyles series? That is, why did you choose it?
I have my reasons.
But one of them should be obvious, if you understand Gargoyle birth cycles.
(Also, I wanted/needed to get far enough into the future that most of our regulars would be dead, whether in battle or by natural causes or whatever. Because I didn't want to spoil stories set in the present by being forced to reveal what and/or where the characters were in the future.)
It's interesting. Originally, all I planned to say was, "I have my reasons."
I know you have addressed this a lot..but I have read your posts on it and im still confused..not cuz your posts were vage but cuz my knowledge of math..is ..well lets say limited.
My question is on Broadway's and Angela's children. To the best of my knowleged they have 3 right, the middle child is the female and the youngest is Sampson who becomes leader. Can you explain to me how old approx. is Sampson when he becomes leader and in what order does this happen? IE. Hudson, Goliath, Brooklyn, ...then RIGHT to Sampson? That seems to me that he'd be too young..or that Brooklyn or Goliath would be getting on but im SO bad at this stuff:P can you help me??
And I just wanted to say that you are doing an awsome job here! Not too meny ppl would take so much time to talk to their fandom, I think thats just really cool of you!:D
And it's not a math question really. It's an events question. You make a few assumptions that don't necessarily happen. But at any rate, it's not that simple. In my current thinking, which has changed quite a bit since 1996, Samson becomes leader due to circumstances beyond his control.
You had said that you planned to add a female (and human) love interest for Owen... In what time-period would we have seen her? Gargoyles-2158 or the "present" series?
Most likely the present. But my plans might have changed if the present series never got picked up and 2158 did. Nothing's final 'til its canon.
1.Lisa wrote "who will be leader of the wyvern clan in 2158?" you answered "define wyvern clan" so my question is the same as hers and in defintion of the Wyvern clan it is the clan that lives atop the eyrie building, the descendants of Goliaths clan.
I'm not sure. Samson, eventually.
1.Would any members of the Pack still be alive in 2158?
Hi mr. Weisman.
I read in the archives that you wouldn't mind a Gargoyles show in CGI. I feel that CGI would not be right for Gargoyles. Not because it would be impossible to make, but I notice that CGI shows tend to have few characters. There's also a lot of generated characters looking close to one and another, like the Apes in Starship Troopers who look alot alike save for their faces, nametag, size.
A show like Gargoyles have many characters with different shape, size, color, etc. Wouldn't that be costly or long to create?
I'd like to have your view on this one, thank you in advance.
The limitations in CGI are no more severe than in cel animation; they are simply different. And most can be overcome with proper lead time and development.
Gargoyles, is, in many ways an ideal CGI show. Doesn't mean it might not be better in cel. But I think it could work. Size, color, shape, etc. none of that is a problem. Hair is a problem. That would take some work. Clothes are a problem. Loinclothes would take some work. But for GARGOYLES 2158, it could be a whole new world in CGI.
Hi Greg! :)
I love "Gargoyles" (obviously) and I was sad that they cancelled it. Ever since I saw "Awakenings" Part 1 (I was there the first time it aired and fell in love instantly!), everything caught me. The betrayal was stunning, the art fantastic, the storyline just plain magnificent! I keep high hopes that Disney gets off it's butt and start working with your show or else to sell it, or better yet continue it with YOU on the crew. Sorry, I've been a Garg fanatic ever since I was nine so thanks for taking your time, because a lot of people, including me, appreciate it. ^_^
Sorry if these sound dumb...
In the spin-off for GARGOYLES 2158, you said that Timedancing Brooklyn will star along with Demona, Samson, and a few others. Wouldn't Timedancing Brooklyn meet his older self (the Brooklyn that has become 214 years old) in this year?
(Second question) In the year 2158, will the older Brooklyn even be in Manhattan?
By 2158, Brooklyn would be dead, one way or another. (Do the math.)
A couple of questions about the Quarrymen.
1. What is the relationship between them and the authorities in New York? While obviously the local government figures in Manhattan don't know that the gargoyles are actually a race, and therefore wouldn't interpret the Quarrymen as a hate group, there is the fact that these people could be viewed as vigilantes, are armed with potentially dangerous high-tech weaponry, and their leader is clearly the unstable sort. Would the New York authorities be willing to tolerate them?
2. You mentioned that the Quarrymen would still be around in 2158. What sort of legal status do they have by then? Would they have become more of a criminal organization, like the Pack, by that time, outside the law and the mainstream public, or would they have some fleeting legitimacy left?
1. Not Matt.
2. Legal status? Again, I have always seen them as a KKK parallel. It never ever quite goes away.
Some 'Gargoyles 2158' questions:
1. Do any of three races mainly involved in the galactic war have knowledge of magic's existence? Would they consider it to be superstition (like most humans)? Would they know it exists and works, but not how (like the protagonists of the series)? Would they have researched it and elevated it to the level of science?
In short, what's their attitude towards magic?
2. Is the third species you spoke of allied to Nokkar's race? To the space-spawn? None of the above?
3. Is there a specific point of dispute between the warring sides, or is it simply a war of aggression, one wanting to conquer all, and the other side opposing it?
1. Initially, I wouldn't be dealing with Alien Magic. It's a pretty sophisticated concept. Eventually, I would have enjoyed bringing it in. As for their beliefs, I think Owen said it best: "Energy is Energy." Or to the Space-Spawn, "Power is power."
2. It's complicated.
3. Ditto. Though initially vis-a-vis Earth in 2158 it will play as a territory grab.
Is there an equivalent crime faction to Dracon's organisation in 2158? If so, are any relatives of existing people still operating? Dracons had 'owned' Manhattan's crime scene for three generations (I think that was the quote, I suppose it might have been more), so would they go forward?
How large would the clan be by 2158?
1,if you had to pick just one of the gargoyles proposed spin-offs which would you have chosen to make?
Well, I got furthest along on BAD GUYS, so I had more ideas clear in my head. So that would be a natural. And I've done quite a bit of thinking recently on G2158.
But honestly, you're question is like asking me to pick between my kids. I'd love to do any or all.
by 2158 you said that gargoyles would have been accepted what would have happened to jon castaway and the qaurreymen?
I didn't say accepted. Perhaps tolerated would be a better word. The Quarrymen would still exist. Castaway himself would be long dead.
in 2158 would any members of the trio still be alive?
You just want me to give away every little secret don't you.
Well, I'm NOT going to answer this question positively or negatively except to say that a TimeDancing Brooklyn would be there.
you said that demona by 2158 would be a firm ally with the clan what about macbeth would he be a ally as well?
Macbeth will be much less involved in 2158. Something of a hermit. (Although don't take that too literally.) Maybe in 2159 or 2160 he'd become more of a player again.
in 2158 who would be the leader of the wyvern clan?
Define "wyvern clan".
I just read the post where you said the long term chances for getting a Gargoyles series back on the air were 'good to very good'. Since you've worked on CGI shows now, do you think a future Gargoyles show would benefit from being CGI, or would you prefer traditional animation?
It would depend on the show.
I think G2158 would be perfect for CGI. But I'd hate to do Dark Ages in CGI, though maybe not for the reasons you think.
Would Brooklyn's kids still be alive for G2158?
If so, is that where Brooklyn gets the ideas for their names (I realize that this is another time loop thing, but it would be pretty neat)?
I can't answer this question.
It seems imperative to me that for G2158 not to render any present day series completely undramtic and moot, I need to be very careful not to reveal too much to Brooklyn or you.