A Station Eight Fan Web Site
The Immortal Seven:
I'm not sure I have this completely right, but there's some sort of contest to guess which seven characters survived from the time of Arthur's Camelot to the present day. Here are my guesses. First of all, the definants. Arthur, obviously, and, supposedly The Fisher King (Pelles).
If the Fisher King is alive, that means you're probably using Wolfram's version of the Grail, so Pervivale the Welsh is the Grail Knight.
Now we have Arthur, Pelles, and Percival.
Nimue was supposed to be trapped forever with Merlin in the Crystal Cave, and was a nymph. We can probably include both of them.
Arthur, Pelles, Percival, Merlin, Nimue. That leaves 2.
You're probalby drawing mostly from Malory, so we can make some very quick eliminations. Lancelot died as a monk. Gwenivere died as a nun. Galahad died when he saw the Grail, but that's not certain, since Percival and the Fisher King have the grail. However, Galahad only exists as a character in Malory, and only exists to find the Grail. I'm willing to leave him dead. Mordred died at the Last Battle. That kills off most of the sentimental guesses.
Now I'm on my own. Morganna Le Fey is a likely survivor, as her magicks might extend her life. So, we have only one to go. The Lady of the Lake was a character, but I'm not sure she counts, since she's a Fey. I'm going to go with Palamedes, being kept immortal to pursue the Questing Beast.
Thus, the final list is Arthur, Pelles, Percival, Merlin, Nimue, Morganna, and either the Lady of the Lake, or Palamedes. (I lean toward the Lady)
Well, it's a contest, so you have to decide.
But since their are eight survivors, not seven, you could include both. Or would that change your thinking?
Repost and let me know.
8, HUNH? WELL,
2)THE LADY OF THE LAKE
6)MORGAN LE FEY
Well. Eight names. But some are incorrect.
Better luck next time.
here's my first try, at this thing...
THE ARTHURIAN SURVIVORS:
2.)THE LADY OF THE LAKE
7.)MORGAN LE FEY
I hope these are them ?
Did you mean to list Lancelot twice? Or do we have a clone thing happening?
Anyway, there are eight survivors, so at mimumum, you are short two.
Better luck next time.
Greg, in the Gargoyles universe, what ever happened to Lancelot of Camelot? Did the imfamous love affair with the
Queen take place? Did he meet his demise?
I'd rather not go into too many details here. For one thing it could influence the contest we're holding. But Lancelot did exist in the Gargoyles Universe. The tragic affair with Guenevere did take place. Ask me "Did he meet his demise?" again, after the contest is over.
All right, here are my guesses for the clans:
(Some of them are pretty bizarre, but I'm tired of thinking about it. ;)
4. New Olympus
6. Loch Ness, Scotland
10. Clones (Labyrinth)
12. Wyvern, Scotland
No. Sorry. But since this contest is obviously so hard, here's a clue.
You scored "10.5".
Hi again Greg. Here's an Arthurian survivors list:
1. King Arthur Pendragon.
3. The Lady of the Lake.
4. Pelles, the Fisher King.
5. Morgana le Fay.
6. Sir Galahad.
7. Sir Bors.
8. Sir Percival.
Nope. But nice specificity.
Yet another survivors list:
1.Arthur 2.Lady of the Lake 3.Merlin 4.Perceval 5.Cundry 6.Blaise 7.Morgana 8.Nimue
Nope. Try again.
It's a great dramatic moment. The Weird Sisters, Macbeth and Goliath have successfully (if temporarily) BROKEN Demona.
She gives them the code word: "ALONE".
But why would Demona choose that as a code word in the first place.
Here's the latest contest. (And this one will definitely have a winner.)
Write two paragraphs. Each one no more than fifty words.
In the first paragraph, explain the reason Demona consciously gave herself for choosing that word.
In the second paragraph, explain how that conscious decision interacted with her subconscious mind.
PROOFREAD. Grammar, spelling, even punctuation counts. Please remember that I'm a former Composition teacher and current editor. Nothing annoys me more than sloppy work.
You have the entire month of September to enter your two paragraphs at ASK GREG.
It may take me a while to get around to reading them all, but I will eventually choose the entry that I SUBJECTIVELY JUDGE to be the best. That winner will get some kind of prize. It won't actually be worth anything, but hopefully he or she will think it's cool.
All entries should begin with:
"ALONE: The Demona Contest Answer"
If not, they will be disqualified. I'm prepared to be merciless.
Hi Greg. I'll give the clan contest a go (I'm assuming that naming the country is close enough?): Manhattan, London, Ishimura, Guatamala, New Olympus, Labrynth, Avalon,
China, Egypt, Norway, Italy, Scotland, India, moon base
Naming the country isn't always close enough. Be as specific as possible, the next time you try to win. (Cause you didn't win this time.)
For example, saying U.S.A. would not be close enough for me to give you credit for the Manhattan clan.
On the other hand saying "Guatemala" is close enough for you to receive credit for the Mayan clan.
Each guess needs to be as specific as the show would dictate. AND YES, I KNOW THAT MAKES IT HARDER.
Sorry, I didn't read the rules for the Pendragon Contest. Here are my guesses again.
3. Lady of the Lake
5. Morgana la Fay
Ooh, sorry Greg, try again.
Greg- Okay, I just re read (skimmed actually) my copy of Mallory's King Arthur. So, if someone hasn't beaten me to it, here are my guesses-
1. KING ARTHUR
2. THE LADY OF THE LAKE
4. MORGAN LE FAY
7. SIR KAY
Sorry, Derek. Nope.
But try again soon.
Yet another Guess at the 14 Clans:
Outer Space/Another Planet
Nope. Try again.
New guess on the 14 Clans
5) The Avalon Clan
6) The clones
7) New olympus
13) Salem Mass.
Sorry, L.S., try again.
My guess on the 14 clans
2) the clones
5) the Avalon clan
6) New Olympus
14) somewhere else in America
Sorry, Lawrence, try again.
My clan guesses:
1.London 2.Ishimura. 3.Guatemala. 4.Avalon 5. New Olympus 6. China 7. Alaska 8. Egypt
9. Manhattan(our guys) 10. Clones
11. Scotland 12. New Camelot
13. Easter Island 14. A space station
Sorry, Aris, try again.
Greetings Greg! (Thanks for signing my Guest book on my site!)
Hmm... First a question, then the contests:
If the purpose of the Hill of the Sleeping King was to maintain Arthur Pendragon's health and age until the time of Britain's greatest need (esentially a "stasis chamber" of some sort), wouldn't the hill also be working on the Magus, since he fell on the cairn there after defeating the Weird Sisters?
Now, the contests:
1. King Arthur
2. The Lady of The Lake
4. Morgana le Fay
The 14 Clans
4. Guatemala Rain Forest
5. Isle of Avalon
6. Manhattan/New York
7. New Olympus Island
10. Amazon Rain Forest
12. Ozark Mountain Range
13. Orbital Colony/Earth
Hope I get at least some of them right. :) Thanks for talking to us Greg! See you in the CR!
Maintain and Check Six!
As to the Arthurian survivors -- Sorry, try again.
As to the clans, you need to submit them on a SEPARATE POST to even get a response. (I gave that admonition on the first day -- so NO SLACK.)
Hi, Greg. I think I'll take a shot at the Arthurian survivors.
2.Lady of the Lake
5.Morgana le Fay
Sorry, Arianna, try again.
14 Clan Guesses:
Another Clone Clan
Outer Space/Another Planet
Sorry, try again.
AND GENERALLY, you need to be more specific.
Arthurian Survivor Guesses:
Lady of the Lake
Morgana Le Fey
The Green Knight
Blanchefleur (Percival's Wife)
Sorry, Airwalker try again.
Yipes! *Eight* Arthurian survivors? This guessing game just got a little harder! :) But here are my eight guesses (and sorry for not including my original guesses from yesterday in a separate post; that was before you laid down the new rules for the guessing game).
1. King Arthur
2. The Lady of the Lake
4. Sir Percival
5. Morgan le Fay
8. The Grail Damsel
Sorry, Todd try again.
And by the way, AND THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE -- Don't hedge your bets. Be specific or your answer won't count.
The eight Arthurian survivors list:
1. Arthur 2.Lady of the Lake 3.Merlin 4.Perceval 5.Blanchfleur 6.Morgana 7.Green Knight 8.Blaise
Sorry, Aris. Try again.
Contest #2 (This one's all but impossible)....
At the time of "The Journey" there were ten clans extant in the Gargoyles Universe. Some were flourishing, some barely surviving.
By the year 2158, all ten would be in much better shape and two more clans would have already have been launched.
In the century that followed, two more, for a total of FOURTEEN clans, would also be launched.
Name the location of all 14 clans.
Same rules apply as in the Arthurian contest. Name all 14 correctly if you want a response. No hints for partial or partially correct answers. Guess as often as you like, but always on a separate "question" post to ASK GREG.
There will be a prize of some kind.
Officially restarting the contest...
In the Gargoyles Universe, there are eight survivors from the days of King Arthur. (I know I once said seven, but I forgot someone. Which isn't like me.)
Here are the rules. You have to name all eight correctly. Partially correct answers will receive no partial credit. I won't say you got three right and five wrong or whatever. I won't provide any hints at all beyond the following two names:
1. King Arthur
2. The Lady of the Lake
You have six more to guess. Remember, I'm looking for their Arthurian names. Yes, I've mentioned that Duval is one of the survivors, but listing him doesn't count, i.e. it doesn't count as a guess as to who Duval is, who the survivor is.
The winner will get a prize, I think. Nothing of any worth, but something. (Maybe a xerox of my recording script for Pendragon, complete with all my scribblings. That sort of thing seems to go over fairly well.)
You can guess as many times as you like. But always post it as a separate "question" to ASK GREG. Don't lump it in with other questions. And don't make multiple guesses on the same post. Just eight names. First to give me all eight correct in one post, wins.
Hello! This is my first time, so my apologies if I mess up here...
1: 7 Arthuran survivors...Arthur, Merlin, Lady Of The Lake, Duval, Gwynevere (sp?), Morgana le Fay, and Nimue.
2: What exactly was the Xanatos Program from Future Tense? Was it a virtual avatar of sorts, under the direct control of Lexington, or was it an independent and possibly sentient program? Or does it matter since it was all a dream? ^_^
Thank you for your time and attention. :)
1. O.K. Again, we're up to eight survivors now, and contest entries must be on a separate post. (And yes, I realize that you posted this before I posted the new contest rules. I can't believe how many people managed to post on Independence Day. Weren't any of you watching fireworks?
2. I'm not sure I understand, but Yes, Yes and no.
Phew! Nice to have this thing back! Now for some questions that I've been waiting a long time to ask.
1. In "The Journey", during his recruitment speech, Castaway, while playing upon the fears of the citizens in his audience, lists two specific ones: that the gargoyles might attack them while they sleep and that they might kidnap their children. Recently, I found myself realizing something about these fears. Gargoyles obviously fear humans attacking them while they are in their stone sleep, and Demona believed in "The Reckoning" that Princess Katharine and the Magus had kidnapped the eggs. So, were you deliberately going for a notion of "humans and gargoyles fear each other for parallel reasons" when you wrote this scene, or am I just reading too much into it?
2. My new guesses for the 7 Arthurian survivors:
a. King Arthur
c. The Lady of the Lake (so far, the obvious ones :)
d. Sir Percival
e. The Grail Damsel (since she's got a different name in practically every version of the Arthurian/Grail legends, I figured I'd better just put down her position to make it clearer whom I meant)
f. Morgan le Fay
3. One of the most intriguing aspects of the gargoyles in the series, to me, was their initial lack of personal names, something that worked particularly well with me since it made them seem even more "their own unique culture" (I particularly liked the scene where Hudson was asking why humans have to name everything in "Awakening Part Three"). What inspired you and the other members of the production team to come up with this idea?
1. I don't think you're reading too much in, but you need to keep in mind that I was breathing gargoyles at the time. It filled my thoughts. Whether I was conscious of those specifics parallels, doesn't answer whether they were intentional or not. Does that help?
2. We're up to eight now. Plus guesses need to be on their own post. Note: it's best to be as specific as possible. Bet hedging is no way to win a silly contest.
3. Originally, desperation. We had a hell of a time getting names approved. Coming up with a rationale for waiting until the twentieth century to name most of our characters was an inspiration I was grateful my boss went for. Fortunately, he saw that it solved all our problems. Gave us young characters with names that had a more contemporary, yet fun feel. Allowed Goliath to stand out from the crowd more. Made Demona's name less silly and more chilling. Etc. Making Gargoyles a unique culture was the solution to a difficult problem. One of the many things, that just made the show feel "right".