A Station Eight Fan Web Site
im just curious, in hindsight, are you happy with the timing of the s1 finale/s2 premiere, coming out in the same month as issue 14-5? im just saying caus we didnt know ocean master and orm were the same but orm was said to be on their side in the finale, and now we learned some cool things about lagoon boy too before his role expanded
another lagoon boy question - when you had him played by yuri lowental in downtime, did you already know you werre going to use him in s2?
1. I'm not UNhappy with how it turned out.
2. I believe so. That is, we knew we were going to use Lagoon Boy. We didn't make a final decision on Yuri until just before we began auditions for our Season Two cast. That's not meant as a reflection on Yuri AT ALL. We simply didn't discuss who would be playing what until then, at which point Jamie Thomason and Brandon Vietti and I sat down to figure out which characters we'd need to hold auditions for, and which we were already good with, which of course included Yuri.
I notice both Garth and Lagoon Boy are voiced by my favourite all-time VA, Yuri Lowenthall. Is there a connection between these two or did you just select Yuri because he did the best voice for Lagoon?
Uh, Yuri played La'gaan in Season One, when all he had was one line. We were paying him for Garth, and we get a second voice free.
So now, Season Two comes along. La'gaan is older, so we had the option of recasting, because his voice could have changed. But who better than Yuri, so why recast?
You said, before the series started, that you made auditions only for the six first members of the Team (plus Superman, but just because you wanted the same actor to voice him and Superboy). So:
1)Have you made auditions for members of the Team that were introduced in Season One, outside the original six (Zatanna-Rocket-Bumblebee-Batgirl-Mal Duncan-Beast Boy-Lagoon Boy)?
2)Have you made auditions for members of the Team introduced in Invasion (Tim Drake-Blue Beetle-Wonder Girl)?
3)Have you considered hiring new voice actors to voice the now adults Nightwing and Batgirl (let's clarify: this is not a hate message against Jesse McCartney and Alyson Stoner, in fact I like them both a lot in both roles; I'm just asking if you've considered it)?
1. No. Those people were CAST in their rolls... which then carried forward into Season Two.
2. We did hold auditions for Jaime/Blue Beetle/Scarab, Tim/Robin, Bart/Impulse and one other. But not for Cassie/Wonder Girl. From our previous Miss Martian auditions, we knew we wanted Mae Whitman.
3. Never seriously. Keep in mind, we pitched Jesse up slightly when he played Robin to make him sound a bit younger. So by NOT pitching him anymore, he now easily felt right as Nightwing. And Alyson was just directed to play her tougher and older, and she did - admirably. The only REcasting we did because of age was Billy Batson.
My reviews on Nightwing, Robin/Tim Drake, Batgirl, Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes, Lagoon Boy, Wondergirl and Gordon Godfrey after watching the very perfect "Happy New Year". BTW Greg don't listen to all those idiots who talk nonsense about the "Time Skip" and the new characters.
Nightwing and Robin/Tim Drake:
I didn't know I would be seeing those two guys very early in the show, but they both have great lines, personalities and costumes though. Plus they are both two of my most favourite DC heroes. I loved the conversions between those two. I also love the part where Robin teams up with Blue Beetle and Lagoon Boy.
HA!!! I always knew Batgirl exists on Earth 16!!! I liked the part where she teams up with Wonder Girl. Great costume and I'm surprised that you gave her black coloured boots and gloves. She's one of my most favourite DC heroines. Would be great to hear some one-liner jokes from her though. And yes Greg, "she is all that!!!"
Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes:
"That guy" and Batman: The Brave and the Bold is what got me into DC Comics in the first place. I love his costume, powers, Spanish quotes and jokes. His voice is so funny that I just simply laugh everytime he says a word. The part where he talks to his costume was also funny. I would love to see his girlfriend Traci 13 on YJ though, hopefully time will tell. Overall this is why Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes is one of my most favourite DC heroes. Oh and congratulate his voice actor for making him so funny!!!
I'm not very familar with him, but I like his appearance, powers and voice.
I'm a huge fan of her outfit after watching the episode. But I really couldn't believe people on youngjustice.wikia are complaining about her shoes. Just don't listen to them Greg, I actually think her shoes are cute.
Like Blue Beetle, his voice is so funny!!! I've actually never heard of him before. But I have heard of "Godfrey", it's an Australian company that sells vacuum cleaners.
My final thoughts:
All those characters that I've reviewed are now on my list of favourite YJ characters, I've watched "Happy New Year" at least 4 times now and I've actually told JM DeMatteis about Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes on your show. Hopefully the rest of Season 2 will turn out perfect. Bye Greg!!!
Glad you like Eric Lopez's work as Jaime/BB. We thought he was terrific!
All Things Artemis (Part Two):
6.) What made you choose to make her Momâs former alias Huntress instead of Tigress?
7.) What exactly happened to Paula Crock that caused her to become paralyzed?
8.) Last but certainly not least, Wally and Artemisâs romance on this show is not only my favorite on the show, but might be my favorite romance on all the showâs youâve produced. Thatâs no small feat amongst company like Goliath/Eliza, Fox/Xanatos, Peter/Gwen, Spider-Man/Black Cat. As a Wally West fan (my favorite of the Flashes), you and the YJ crew have also done something I didnât think possible. Make me want to see him end up with someone besides Linda Park. Not that I wouldn't mind that as a detour, but as long as all roads end with him and Artemis together I'd be happy. I also thought Wally scooping her up before their first kiss and Artemis being fine with it was adorable as well. Iâd also be remiss if I didnât give major props to Jason Spisak and Stephanie Lemelin. Those two have had cracking chemistry from day one Artemis showed up. Whether it's them bickering or in the more tender moments, they deserve just as much credit as you and the crew did for bringing this relationship to life. I imagine it was probably a joy to watch them interacting at the table readings and/or voice recordings. Anyways this one wasnât a question so much as me giving you and the crew a pat on the backs for creating one of my favorite romances in animation. I look forward to where both Wally and Artemis end up going in Season 2.
9.) But I digress at what point in the beginning did you guys decide to have Wally and Artemis be one of the main romances on this show?
6. That was the character's original name.
7. SPOILER REQUEST.
8. We don't have table readings, I'm afraid, but Jason and Stephanie did rock our recordings. Can't praise either of them enough. Of course, I feel that way about all our regulars and nearly all of our guests too.
9. From the start it seemed clear to us.
How does it feel to be working with Tim Curry again?
It's always great working with Tim because he's so good.
what was carlos brothers name in performance, and who playd him and carlo?
We never named Carlo's brother, I'm afraid.
I'm fairly certain that Nolan North played them both. But my Season One scripts are boxed, and I can't check to make sure.
Regarding Zatanna's spells, does Ms. Chabert have a difficult time pronouncing some of them on the first go? Do you choose to write the spells a certain way that allows for them to be more easily read?
1. Yes, sometimes, though she's a real trooper about it, and she practices them all in advance.
2. They are simply written backwards. She and Jamie and I work out the phonetics as we go.
1) Has Zatanna's A-03 designation changed since she joined the Team?
2) I know that Hawkwoman and Hal Jordan only had one line in "Agendas" (Hawkwoman said "Hear, hear!" in response to Wonder Woman's comment about the League needing more female members, and Hal said "No" in response to the question about Guy Gardner) but could you reveal who voiced them please, since they went uncredited? I think Vanessa Marshall voiced Hawkwoman but I'm not sure.
2. Since they were uncredited, I don't have a list of who played those parts on my electronic copy of the script. I would have jotted down who played them on my cast list on the hard copy of the script I was using at the actual record, but I'm afraid my first season scripts are currently boxed up, so I can't check my hard copy to see. I have a vague memory that Danica McKellar played Hawkwoman and that Dee Bradley Baker played Hal, but I can't be sure.
Hey Greg it's me again and I was wondering
how did you get the role of spectacular spiderman.
You mean the job producing it?
I interviewed for it - like five times - and they chose me, I assume, based on the ideas I pitched them for it, all of which wound up in the show.
Or did you mean how did I get the role of Menken in SpecSpidey?
I cast myself.
Hey Greg, I have been watching the recent episodes of "Young Justice."
* In "Image," the episode's twist ending had the Bialyan Queen Bee appearing in Garfield Logan's bedroom as Miss Martian appeared to check up on Garfield. Queen Bee stated that Psimon wasn't the only one who knows that Miss Martian is a White Martian and is now planning to use Miss Martian in a later plot. I am assuming that Psimon must've relayed his discovery of Miss Martian's true form to her before being knocked out. If that's not the case, then what is?
* In "Insecurity," the twist ending there revealed that Sportsmaster is Artemis' father (just like the comics) as well as being Cheshire's father on Earth-16. Outside of that, I did see the opening where Black Spider targets a reporter named Mr. Jones. I don't think you have mentioned which version of Black Spider you are using but some are assuming that it is not one of the three Black Spiders in DC Comics. Do you have any comment on that?
* In "Coldhearted," I was surprised that you got Ariel Winter to reprise her role of Princess Perdita (who last voiced her in "DC Showcase: Green Arrow" where Steven Blum voiced Count Vertigo). This is a coincidence since Jamie Thomason had voice directed her in that "DC Showcase" short.
* When it came to Clayface's animated appearance in "Downtime," Clayface's voice actor was uncredited. I thought it might've been Kevin Michael Richardson. Some others are claiming that Khary Payton or Nolan North voiced him. Do you have any comment on that? Outside of that, the comic spin-off stated that he was a member of the League of Shadows who was locked in the Lazarus Pit by Talia al Ghul when he tried to use it to cure his terminal cancer which led to him becoming Clayface.
1. Does it matter how she knows?
2. ASKED AND ANSWERED.
3. Not a coincidence. We all loved Ariel's performance (and Steve's).
4. It was Nolan.
What powers does Captain MArvel Have? are they his usual s.h.a.z.a.m. ones? Also, will Captain Atom ever get any speaking lines, or is he mostly a background charater and/or can't talk? If he does have future lines, who is his voice actor?
1. Basic SHAZAM powers, yeah.
2. By now, you've hopefully seen that Michael T. Weiss is the voice of Captain Atom.
1. Why was there a scene cut from Agendas? I mean the one where Superboy demands entrance into Project Cadmus.
2. What did Doctor Fate say after Superman was objecting to allowing underage children in the Justice League? It starts with "That seems....., but I cannot understand what he is saying.
3. Who voiced Hal Jordan and Hawkwoman in Agendas? Are they going to voiced by the same people or was this just a one time thing until others can found to voice them full time.
1. The slot in the DC Nation block is shorter (to make room for the shorts) than our original timeslot was when we were an independent show. Something had to be cut.
2. "That seems myopic. I have been one with Kid Flash and Aqualad. Both are ready."
3. Neither are officially cast, but I believe that Danica was Hawkwoman and Dee Bradley Baker was Green Lantern (Hal). But unfortunately, my Season One scripts are boxed up at this moment, and I cannot double check.
Agendas was awesome. A few questions, though.
I'm assuming that Guardian is Jim Harper and that he's the younger brother of Red Arrow's biological dad (He did say Roy was his nephew, after all, and if it really is Jim, the shared surname would indicate a paternal relation). Is my assumption correct?
You said in response to an earlier question that Guardian was only 24 years old. If the above assumption is correct, was there a big age gap between Guardian and Roy's dad? Because I can't imagine a mere six year gap between uncle and nephew otherwise.
Does Roy know that he has an uncle?
On a happier note, congratulations to the cast of "Young Justice" for being nominated for "Best Vocal Cast in a Television Series" and "Best Male Vocal Performance in a Television Series in a Supporting Role" (Crispin Freeman- Roy Harper/Speedy/Red Arrow) at the BTVA awards. You guys certainly have my votes- though I figure that by the time you read this the voting process and the announcement of the awardees would be long over.
Well, by now, you probably know that in fact Guardian/Jim Harper was NOT in fact Red Arrow's uncle. Instead, BOTH were clones of the original Roy Harper, i.e. Speedy. Guardian was force-grown to be older, but he also was cloned SECOND, so he's actually younger.
Red Arrow did believe for all of Season One that Guardian was his father's much younger brother.
I've never heard of the BTVA Awards and had no idea we were nominated? Did we win?
I finished watching "Happy New Year" today. At first I freaked out about the time jump. After I cooled down, I was smiling to myself thinking, 'This definitely sounds like Greg Weisman'. I LOVE the twists and turns you put into this show. It reminds me of Gargoyles, which I watched a few years back. I can't wait to see what the rest of season 2 brings. Fantastic work to you and your co-workers!
Is Batgirl voiced by Alyson Stoner?
Greg Weisman says:
"Alyson Stoner as Batgirl."
[Response recorded on June 4, 2012.]
Who will voice as Wonder Girl? Is it someone as famous as Maggie Q who recently voiced as Wonder Woman? Can you give to WG fans a little hint like alphabet initials like I'm using right now?
Greg Weisman says:
"New voice actors, including Mae Whitman ('Arrested Development', 'Avatar, the Last Airbender') as Wonder Girl..."
[Response recorded on April 27, 2012.]
Hello Mr. Weisman,
I was wondering if Queen Bee is voiced by the same voice actress that played Demona? Sounds offly familar...
Greg Weisman says:
"Marina Sirtis as Queen Bee."
[Response recorded March 19, 2012.]
Greg Weisman says:
"Of course, the big news is MARINA SIRTIS, the voice of Demona, will be attending."
[Response recorded November 2, 2000.]
How do you think Maggie Q did as Wonder Women?
Great! Really, really great, actually!
(Why would you ask me this?)
Do you have Zatanna and Zatara's voice actors say their spells forward and then rewind them in post or are they actually saying the spells backwards without help?
They speak 'em backwards. It's fun to watch. We laugh a lot.
* How old is Dudley?
* Is he Billy's uncle, or his guardian (or both?)
* What does/did he do for a living? I noticed a poster in Misplaced, he looks like some circus magician.
* Why didn't he have any lines in Misplaced? You had Corey Burton in the cast, after all
1. Dudley is 65 at the end of Season One.
2. He is Billy's legal guardian. They're not actually related by blood, but Billy calls him "Uncle Dudley". And Dudley certainly is avuncular.
3. He's had many jobs over the years. Now, he's eligible for Social Security. Plus he takes odd jobs, and is something of a scammer.
4. Well, we didn't think he NEEDED any lines, but this is a good question generally, and provides me the opportunity to explain how the system works - at least on our series.
All our actors - Corey included, of course - share a similar contract, with a favored nation clause. That means whatever deal one actor gets, if it's superior to what the other actors have, they ALL get it. That sounds great, but it has the reverse effect. It means the studio is NEVER willing to pay extra for anything or anyone, because if they do - then they have to match it for EVERY actor in the series, and that's just not budget-friendly.
So that means every actor - whether they're famous or a first-timer - gets the exact same deal.
And, per SAG (i.e. the Screen Actor's Guild), here's the deal:
*For a specific amount of money (that, NO, I will not state - so don't ask), we get an actor to play ONE character per episode.
*For no additional money, we can ask that actor to play a SECOND character in the same episode.
*For a SMALL additional fee, we can ask that actor to play a THIRD character in the same episode. (The budget allows for this small additional fee, so you'll often see us use one actor for three voices in a given episode.)
*But if we want a FOURTH character, we have to pay the actor from scratch. A full second payment.
So, it costs us no more or no less to hire ANOTHER actor to play that fourth character as it would to ask an actor already in the cast to play that fourth. And if we hire that other actor, we can get him or her to play a FIFTH character for free, and a SIXTH for that small additional fee. So there's no economic insentive to give one actor more than three roles.
Now, we're not above doing it when it's warranted. For example, if we needed Superboy, Superman, Zatara and Marvin White in one episode, I wouldn't hesitate to pay Nolan North two full payments to get them. BUT - and here's where your original Corey question comes in - if we could get away with Marvin appearing WITHOUT speaking, then that would save us some money, and it's a path we might take.
SO, with Corey, we NEEDED him to play Brain, James Gordon and Wizard. That's three voices. We didn't need Dudley to speak, so we saved some money there.
Was it fun or nostalgic bringing those 3 guys from gargoyles back for that one episoe?
It's always great to work with talented people and old friends.
How did you cast Alyson Stoner as Barbara Gordon?
How? Uh, Jamie Thomason and/or his talent coordinator called her agent, I assume. If you're asking how did we DECIDE to cast her as Barbara...?
I'm not sure I remember, but there were a handful of actresses who auditioned for Miss Martian (including Lacey, Mae and maybe Alyson) who didn't seem quite right for M'gann, but who were really good nevertheless and whom we kept in mind for future rolls.
You've said before that you like to partake in mental casting for characters that you never got to animate in Gargoyles. Did you do this as well for Spectacular Spider-Man's unmade third season, and if so, any chance you could tell me what voice actors you had in mind for the new characters?
Well, Marina Sirtis for Emily Osborn. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. And mostly, I don't do that 'mental casting' until after I've written (or edited) a script, so that I have a character's 'voice' in my head. Since we never wrote any scripts, I probably didn't pre-cast much.
Why did Chad Lowe took over Rob Lowe as Captain Marvel?
Rob was no longer available, and Chad - with Rob's blessing - kindly stepped in.
Dear Mr Weisman,
Let me first say that I'm big Young Justice fan. I love the the character development seen in the show. I do have a few questions, though:
1. Will Laura Bailey or Troy Baker be voicing any character in the show?
2. Are Tula and Garth acquainted with Kaldur's mother (you know, seeing how close they were in Atlantis)?
3. I'm itching to ask if we get to see any Mathlete action from Robin/Dick in the show. But since that's probably a spoiler request, you can ignore the point. I just HAD to type it out.
4. Is Iris related to Wally's dad or his mother? Her maiden name name is West, which would mean she's Rudy's sister. However, she and Mary look so ridiculously alike that I had to ask this.
5. Wikipedia says that Logan Grove will be voicing Beast Boy in the show. Can you confirm or deny this?
To conclude, I'd like to thank you for the stellar voice cast you've put together for the show. Props to you, Brandon and Jamie Thomason!
1. I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with those names.
2. They've met.
4. I don't see any particular resemblance between Mary and Iris. As you noted, Iris is Rudy's younger sister.
4. Well, he's voicing Garfield Logan. Beyond that, you can do the math.