A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Well, I'm solidly impressed. A friend just managed to drag me into watching "Independence Day"; if he had mentioned who was behind it, I would have acquiesced alot faster.
Others have already brought up most of the excellently done pieces, such as the group dynamic, the strong characterization, and so forth. In particular, having read the response to the "why no female sidekicks in the initial ep?" and having fond memories of Gargoyles' and Spectacular Spiderman's female characters, I am looking forward to seeing the heroines of Young Justice teach the boys a few things.
However, there is one point that I was particularly impressed by, although I shall have to be a bit delicate in this. At the end: Superman's reaction to Superboy. It was a superbly well executed sequence that managed to communicate Superman's shock and horror at having been cloned without consent--a violation of the highest order--and his struggle to not associate the boy in front of him with that violation. I'll admit, my reaction to his reaction was "Okay, first, we get you to a bar. Then, a psychiatrist." Superbly well done, and I'm curious to see where that dynamic goes. Superman has already more or less dumped the responsibility for his clone onto others, which, while understandable, doesn't bode well for their future relationship. But, still, the scene was superbly executed, and I'm looking forward to where it's going from here.
And on a final note, a question: Level 42? Seriously? Where they find Life, a whole 'nother Universe, and just about Everything on the computer? That was cute, but now I'm racking my brains on what reference/significance 57 has!
Thanks for going the extra mile with this, and I'm looking forward to more.
But seriously, where did you get 57? Cadmus had 52 sub-levels, plus two above-ground levels for a total of 54.
Merry Christmas Greg Weisman!
By the way, i just realized that there hasnt been any Christmas-related stories set up in Gargoyles universe yet: were there ever one planned? I personally think, for some odd reason, that it would make some neat story.
Yeah, I have an idea for at least one story involving Santa Claus. Someday, hopefully...
1.I notice you have the street level characters like Batman and Black Canary taking charge of the youngsters, with fighting and so on. So what role do the metas play in their mentoring?
2.Will we see more of the Superboy and Aqualad friendship? They seem to have a bond already. It would be more refreshing to see than the same old same super/bat thing...ie Superboy/Robin.
3.I did not really like the Miss Martian intro. She seems a little too sugary and one dimensional batting her eyes off the mark at Superboy. What challenge does she really present to Kon? Or he to her? It felt like you guys telling us. Right. That's your ship. Deal with it. No build up whatsoever. I almost hope the clown Kid Flash wins this one. But then I guess you could surprise me.
4.What's up with Roy and the bitching? That was really unfair to play him off like that. I hope you guys have one episode to make him look less of a little girl.
5.Any clue as to which Wondergirl we will see? Can you tell me Wonder Woman's age in this?
6.Will we see Kyle Rayner?
7.I'm kinda hoping Zatanna will be around Robin's age.
8.I am also looking forward to see Kon develop his relationship with Superman. That's interesting you went with "dad"...than say "brother". Any reason for that? Cause it would make things really different in how they see each other. But I must say Superman's reaction was spot on. It's kinda weird to be the last of your race and then this clone crops up.
1. Watch and see, I guess...
2. Watch and see, I guess...
3. Watch and see, I guess...
4. Watch and see, I guess...
5a. Who said you're seeing Wonder Girl?
5b. And, yes, I can.
6. Watch and see, I guess...
7. Who said we'll be seeing Zatanna?
8. The father/son thing (i.e. progenitor/progenitee) seemed more natural to us than calling them brothers.
Hey, Greg! If you don't remember, we met at the Gathering last year in L.A. (I was the one in the black hat and the striped scarf)
Okay, this may sound strange...
Besides Halloween, can gargoyles celebrate any other holiday?
They can celebrate every holiday.
Big fan of the idea to ground the show in realism. After watching your previous work I've always left your show's feeling that I've gotten much more than your typical cartoon experience. I was pleased to have similar feelings after watching young justice.
In spirit of the covert and behind the scene missions that batman will assign the young league, and given the show has the appropriate rating, will we be seeing REAL guns and bullets, and not your typical random super villain technology laser gun every other episode?
I love the covert angle and being that the young league is going to be in the shade for now, we'd love to see some realistic shady characters and some shady gat's...
We do have realistic guns and bullets where appropriate.
As the conspiracy buff that I am, I found a few references to the Erisian's Law of Fives on Gargoyles (most of which from "Revelations") that I would like you to bear in mind:
a) Mace Malone's key number was 23 (2+3=5).
b) Matt's key number was 13 (23-5-5=13; or 5+5+13=23)
c) Elisa and Matt work on the 23rd precinct;
d) and the most creepy of them all: this episode is the 36th to be produced, which means that by subtracting the 13 episodes of season one, it becomes the 23rd produced episode of season two!
I was wondering if these references were intentional or are just coincidental.
Feels a little like answering could unleash a curse or something.
1.Is Superboy going to learn to fly?
2.Does Superboy have super speed?
3.What can you tell me about the love triangle between Superboy, Miss Martian and Kid Flash?
1. Wait and see.
2. He's faster than the normal human.
Being an Nigerian, it was exciting in Gargoyles to see the Black Panther story line done in Nigeria! I am curious to know why you chose Nigeria to create the story?
English is one of the national languages there.
So what's the specific appeal of animation to you? Or rather, the appeal of writing it (and by extension, comic books) primarily over other mediums?
I could make guesses, but I'd be curious to know what exactly thrills you.
Well, the MAIN appeal is that they'll hire me.
(Only semi-kidding there.)
Anyway, I love the semi-contradictory notions of the control I have over the final product and the collaboration I get while making my way there.
Apart from the work that he's done with you, what's your favorite thing that Kevin Hopps has ever written?
I don't know off the top of my head.
Do you have any concerns about Gargoyles being anime? I ask this because of the video game franchise: Kingdom Hearts
What does that mean, "being anime"?
First of all, the Young Justice premier was exquisite, I can't wait for more. However, I do have one question. When the Young Justice team is led by the Justice League members into the decoy base, lounge is show to be in full view of reporters (who are behind a glass window. A few minutes later, the warning happens. Are the reporters still viewing that room when this warning comes? Or was there some sort of off-screen blocking of the windows? Thanks
They could SEE the warning, but not hear it. If private business takes place, however the windows can be made to go opaque.
Hi! First off, great work on the YJ pilot. A few things bugged me (like the faintly ridiculous lack of female characters and the way they were handled) but overall it was excellent and I can't wait for the series to start!
I have absolutely no idea if you can answer this, but was Guardian being called 'brother' at the end of the Young Justice pilot supposed to imply anything?
I can answer it.
Hi Greg - loved Young Justice! I was curious about Cadmus, though. Are there only saw three humans actually working in the sub-levels? (Guardian, Mark Desmond and the female scientist) Or were there more that we just didn't see?
It seems like there should have been more, since there was a large men's washroom, with a number of stalls in it... I'm assuming they wouldn;t have built that just for Desomnd and the Guardian. If there are more people working there, why didn't they respond to all the craziness going on?
1. There were more.
1) Did you expect the fans to react so strongly in response to you not revealing the identity of Artemis in Young Justice?
2) In past interviews you've said who Artemis isn't and that has led to people grasping at straws for who's left. The two most popular theories at the moment are Olivia Queen, and Artemis Crock. Would you be surprised to know that I've even heard Stephanie Brown's name be mentioned?
1. No, mostly because I thought her identity was so obvious.
2. I feel like this question is really a not very well hidden attempt to extract info.
I saw a Jan 7th return date online ...
was not expecting it that early. early young justice makes me one happy fanboy.
Thanks. Heck, I didn't even shave today.
Just thought I'd ask. When were Gruoch and Macduff born>
Gruoch - 1005
Macduff - 1005
Do you feel like DC's Fifth Dimension characters (such as Mr. Mxyzptlk, Bat-Mite, Qwsp, Jakeem Thunder's Thunderbolt, etc.) would be tonally appropriate for Young Justice? I'm not asking if you have any plans to use them, just whether you think those characters would be able to fit in with your show's relatively serious take on the DCU.
Along the same lines, how do you feel about red kryptonite (the variety that causes random changes in Kryptonians for a roughly 24 hour period)? Would it be too silly for a show like this?
I hesitate to answer this at all, because I don't want to tie my own hands, and an idea could occur later that would put the lie to this... but now, neither of those concepts feels like a natural fit at this time.
I have some questions concerning episodic details
1. I noticed the original documents thread only has your memos on the pilot outline up to when Michael Reeves became the new writer, are we ever going to see rest of those memos(assuming there were more).
2. Concerning your tiers and tentpoles plan that started in season 2 you said awakening retroactively became tentpole 1, rewakening tent pole two, city of stone tent pole three and avolon tent pole four. Im curiouse what episodes made up the next sets of tentpoles after those ones. I figured Future tense or the Gathering was probably one of them with hunters moon obviously being the final ones, but what was the tentpole in the middle of the world tour episodes? I assume there had to be one more otherwise that would have been more episodes than usual in that tier.
3. You mentioned after Hunters Moon changed from direct to video to a three episode finally you had to cut 3 planned episodes. You said one was simply the vinnie episode being merged into vendettas, but what were the other two? Was the Coldston world tour story that made it into clan building one? Was Bronx's side story youve said happened during vendattas/turf one? If not do you remember what they were?
4. Youve said somewhere that the wierd MacBeth story was nixed because your superiours wanted it to be one episode instead of a two parter and you didn't think you could do it justice in two if Im not mistaken. Where would that two parter have taken place if you had been allowed to do it? Ive tried to figure out a spot in season 2 where it could have gone but none really seem to make sense and Id be curiouse to know. Also if you ever get the chnace to write more issues of the comics would you try to do this story now?
Thanks for your answers.
1. "Ever" is a long time. But the issue is that I don't have those memos electronically archived. So I have to transcribe them. And I've just been (a) too busy and (b) at my Warner Bros office (and before that at my Sony office) most days, and not in my Beverly Hills office, where I have that stuff.
2. "The Gathering" two-parter was the next tentpole. Then "Hunter's Moon". There was no tentpole in the middle of the world tour. There were more episodes than usual, but Season Two was WAY longer than Season One, so we needed that flexibility.
3. I honestly forget now. (Isn't that sad?) I do have that info written down, but again -- it's in Beverly Hills, and I'm in Burbank.
4. It would have gone in the final tier of Season Two around the time of Vendettas.
I saw premiere of Young Justice, and once agains, brilliant job well done!
I was just wondering, who,s voice director on that series?
My two guesses would be either Andrea Romano( since She has directed almost all existing animation adaptations of DC)or Jamie Thomason( since you have together history).
Once again, nice work, and keep it up!
Jamie Thomason is the voice and casting director on Young Justice. What's a matter? Couldn't you read his two millimeter credit during it's micro-second long appearance on screen?
Greg, I HAVE to ask this question since it's been bugging me off and on for some time now: With the Fortress', what Justification could those monsters have other than Rule of Cool? I remember Vogal mentioning "Scientific Research," but what kind of research could there be that needs to be done in the air?
I'm a full believer in the MST3K Mantra, but this really stuck out to me.
Why does Goodyear have a blimp?
Few thing have bugged me since cancelation of Spectacular Spider-Man.
1)Does Marvel hate Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon or not.I ask this because they are making new Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon and Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled and there was lack of promotion in Marvel.Com(While Avengers or Super Hero Squad have many promotions).Also in one of your answers you said that Marvel are not planning to make comic book based on your show or something like that.So does Marvel hate your show or not?
2)This might be stupid question but worth a shot.Will you ever work for Marvel or Disney again due to cancelation of your show and Disney retooling Gargoyles into Gargoyles Goliath Chronicles.
3)What do you think about Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes Cartoon.Do you think it is as great as Spectacular Spider-Man or bad.Also in your opinion which show is better:Young Justice or Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
4)Will you watch Ultimate Spider-Man Cartoon?And also is there a chance that you will work on Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes or some Marvel Comic Book?
1. I hope not. Ask Marvel.
2. I'm perfectly willing.
3. I haven't seen Avengers, but Frank Paur is producing it, so I take it for granted that it's great. But in any case, I don't see YJ as being in competition with Avengers. There's room for both.
4a. No. There's no upside in me watching Ultimate. If it's great, I'll be jealous. If it sucks, I'll be frustrated.
4b. No. I'm plenty busy on YJ.
4c. I hope so. Ask Marvel.
I read on a Cartoon Network page that Artemis from Young Justice is Green Arrow's niece. Is that info. correct or a misprint?
It's not a misprint.
Do you have a scheduled day for YOung Justice to come back on in January? If you do, when?
Uh... January 7th, 2011.
Carly Simon auctioned off the secret subject of "You're So Vain" for $50,000 at a charity auction. Would you ever consider selling the secret (for charity or self-gain)of what Titania whispered to Fox in "The Gathering: Part 2"?
For $50K? Sure.
(Who didn't see THAT smart-ass response coming?)