A Station Eight Fan Web Site
And, I'm back with another Demona post. Surprise, surprise, surprise. ;)
Anyway, I've watched and re-watched the 2009 Radio Play many times. I know it's not canon, but I also know you kept everyone in character and they reacted to things as they normally would.
What's been leaping out at me was Demona's behavior towards Obsidiana, because it shows a side of Demona we haven't quite seen before.
Allow me to post the line:
"For she wears the mystic Obsidian pendant fashioned by human sorcerers. Even that is enough to put her in my thrall. She has relinquished her gargoyle birthright."
This line, and the way Marina Sirtis delivered it just hit me like a truck. So, now Demona is going around deciding which gargoyles are and aren't pure enough to be "true gargoyles?" But, as far as we know, she doesn't know Obsidiana. She's never met Obsidiana. I can understand her hatred and desire to wipe out the Manhattan Clan, they stand against her and are her enemies. She's completely wrong to do it, but I tactically understand it.
Obsidiana, on the other hand, for all she knows she had a potential ally there and among the Mayans. While the Mayan Clan, as we have seen them, don't harm the human locals, I could easily envision a scenario where she talks them into some kind of anti-human alliance in the interests of protecting the Green.
But then there is this next line:
"Impossible. I am the last true gargoyle left on this world."
I know Demona has a superiority complex wrapped around her guilt complex, but wow. She is this much of a supremacist now? After she wipes out humanity, what happens when the surviving gargoyles refuse to acknowledge her as their divinely appointed empress? Well, I think I have a pretty good idea of that "what next" would be in that completely hypothetical scenario.
Actually, we've seen some of this already in "Reawakening" where she said "We are the true gargoyles, they have been corrupted by the humans!" But the Obsidiana moment felt even more extreme.
This attitude is actually pretty Hitler-esque, what with his witch-hunt against those who weren't German enough, a test which he'd fail also as he didn't have his idealistic blonde hair and blue eyes (and may have had Jewish blood). Actually, reminds me of Demona and her daytime form as well, but the bigot being what they despise is a trope that has always fascinated me.
By no means do I find that line out of character, actually, for me, that was one of the most chilling moments I've ever seen her depicted in. And yes, it does feel like a logical progression based on what we've seen of her. I know she's going to get better in "Gargoyles 2198" but if this is any indicator of where she was heading in your third season, or any comic book continuation, it seems like she's going to get a lot worse before she gets better.
Very cool, and by cool I mean chilling. It will be very interesting to see how her affection for Angela, who was raised by humans and is maybe more of an idealist than even Goliath would play into this.
Just don't take the radio play too seriously. Remember, I wrote it more or less overnight and I had SO MANY characters to fit in, that - beyond the obvious, that it's not canon - some of it is quite forced.
This is a show that, I swear, gets better with each episode. I've been enjoying the Red Arrow character since the first episode, so I really dug this episode. He had a lot of character development, and while I can't see him joining the team yet, I do think the door is open for it.
Sportsmaster and Cheshire both make welcome returns. And Cheshire is a character that has really grown on me. I love the chemistry she has, not just with Red Arrow, but with everyone. Kelly Hu is doing a magnificent job with that character. So are the writers and animators. She just personifies the sexy badass, and I am eager to see more of her.
As for Sportsmaster, well, I still don't know too much about him. But I am told he is a D-List villain in the comics who is really shining in this series. He's intimidating, badass, and I guess I'm eager to see more of him to. And while we're talking about villains, for the first time in this series, two of the DC Universe's A-List villains have finally been formally introduced.
I was really happy to see Ra's al Ghul, he's one of my favorite Batman villains. Oded Fehr did a great job with his voice, even if I'll have to take some time to get used to it. I guess David Warner's voice has just imbibed itself into my brain for that character, that Fehr has a lot to live up to. But I enjoyed his performance and I am eager to hear more of him. I also enjoyed his skills not just as a leader, but as an assassin. With just pure skill he knew Red Arrow was watching his meeting with Cheshire and Sportsmaster and from where. Very cool. This is why he's the master of the League of Shadows.
And then, there's Lex Luthor. Lex is a character I have never, ever liked. I'm not quite sure why, it's like oil and water with me. I've always thought of him as the poor man's David Xanatos, even years before I ever met the character of David Xanatos. I don't know why. That being said, I did enjoy Mark Rolson's performance as Lex, he brought a lot of charisma to the role. Clancy Brown did the same thing for Lex Luthor too, loved the performance even if I still didn't like the character. Will this version of Lex break the mold and make me like the character? Time will tell. But Greg Weisman managed to make me like Venom, a character I've always detested. Again, time will tell.
Also, looks like we can finally, officially, identify two members of the Light. Oded Fehr voiced L-2, and Mark Rolston voiced L-3. May I just say, and I understand that this might be a bit petty, how ecstatic I am that Lex Luthor is not L-1? If these numbers are indeed a rank, then I would have been disappointed if Lex, again, took center stage. That's one of the reasons why the "Justice League" cartoons disappointed me, because they put too much emphasis on Lex Luthor (who already had that in the Superman cartoon that preceeded it) and not enough on a guy like Vandal Savage, who's appearances in "Justice League" really impressed me and who I felt should have been the main antagonist of that show.
The school scenes were pretty fun, although I was wondering why Superboy needed it, or a secret identity at all. But then, knowledge aside, Superboy could definitely benefit from learning more social skills, so I understand it. Miss Martian too, who seems to have learned everything about interacting with humans from a 50's sitcom.
And who is that, voicing the teacher. Hmm... someone couldn't resist now, could he? ;)
BTW, I loved the origin of the Conner Kent alias, and where they all think the "Kent" part came from.
I needed the money.
Me again Greg, I've got a few Batman: The Brave and the Bold questions:
1.Why did you let Jeff Glen Bennett reprised his role as Abra Kadabra from B:TBATB onto YJ?
2.Is Captain Atom your favourite male DC hero?
3.Have you heard that James Tucker, Michael Jelenic and JM DeMatteis have all expressed interests in doing a Justice League: International animated series spin-off?
4.Out of all the Justice League: International members I've listed, who do you think is the funniest and why? Green Lantern/Guy Gardner, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes, Aquaman.
1. I didn't know Jeff played Abra on B&B. But it's a non-issue to me.
2. Probably. Though there are a ton I love.
3. No, haven't heard that. But I'm sure it would be great.
4. If we're talking about B&B, I haven't seen any episodes with the JLI.
Firstly Greg, I've went back and started watching Kim Possible again while YJ was on a very long break and I have to admit her show still holds up very very well to this day plus it's still funny. I have a lot of KP questions, I would like to ask you.
1. Have you heard there's going to be a fan convention? It will be held on 8-10 June 2012 in Southern CA. You should tell Nicole Dubuc and Jamie Thomason that.
2. Do you know what Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle are currently working on? BTW I made a promise to all Kim Possible fans that any upcoming cartoon series that stars either those two, I will certainly watch it.
3. I'm not sure if you've watched the movie So The Drama, but did you know Jesse McCartney's songs "Why don't you kiss her" and "Get Your Shine On" were featured in that movie?
4. Do you have a favourite episode that Nicole Dubuc wrote?
5. Why didn't Jamie Thomason worked on Season 4 in voice casting? During the final scene/end credits in the Season 4 episodes, his name never popped up. It only said Lisa Schaffer.
6. Do you have any ideas what does Kim's one liners "So not the drama" and "Jinx! You owe me a soda!" suppose to mean? She always says it but I have no idea what does it mean?
7. What do you think were the best and funniest moments in Queen Bebe and Big Bother in your opinion?
8. In Big Bother, is Ron wealthy? He managed to buy so many bags of flour (and sugar) from Smarty Mart!
9. Do you have a favourite Christy Carlson Romano song?
10. Do you still listen to the theme song "Call Me Beep Me"? Trust me that song will never ever leave your head!
Okay, but let me just preface all this by pointing out that as much as I love Kim Possible, I barely worked on it. I think I wrote two freelance episodes, one of which was VERY rewritten by the producers (because I didn't quite get the tone of the show on my first shot). I've seen a bunch of episodes, but nowhere near all of them. And I had nothing to do with the production.
1. Um... okay.
2. No, I don't.
3. Didn't know, but that's cool.
4. Of Kim? No. I don't even know which ones she wrote - or whether or not I've seen them.
5. I don't know.
6. I'd need context.
7. I'd have to see them again.
8. Flour's not that expensive.
9. No. I'm not familiar with her oeuvre.
10. I don't go out of my way, but I agree it's catchy.
1. Has Artemis meet her older sister yet?
2. Has anybody on Earth have died and come back to life yet?
1. NO COMMENT.
2. Ra's al Ghul.
if they ever decide to create a video game based off of the young justice series would you have any say in the developmental process...and would you even want to see one made in the first place. thanks for your time and all the great shows.
I'd love to see one. I'd hope they'd consult Brandon and myself.
Does the emotional spectrum concept exist on Earth 16?
1. Is the history of Earth 16 that much different than the history of our world?
2. What makes Earth 16 so different from all the other multiverse earths?
3. What happened in Earth 16 during the gap between the 1940's and the 2000's and where there super heroes and villians during that time.
1. It depends what you consider "that much".
2. What you see on the show and in the comic.
3. ASKED AND ANSWERED. Check the Archives.
1) Is Mercy an android or a cyborg?
2) How did this version of Clayface get his powers? In Batman the animated series, he had a pretty tragic origin, in which he was disfigured, hooked on a special drug, and then forced to have an overdose which transformed him into Clayface. Was his origin on Earth 16 anything like this?
3) How old is Lex Luthor? How old is Ra's al Ghul?
4) Could Brick breathe beneath that foam stuff that Roy shot at him? If so, was he arrested and convicted?
5) Where is Metropolis located? Where is Star City located?
6) Did the Hook kill Boston Brand in this universe?
7) Did Bane spend most of his life in prison, like in the comics?
8) Is L-7 an existing supervillain in the comics?
9) OK, this is a minor detail, but it's kind of distracting. Where did Roy get his Red Arrow suit from?
10) What is the relationship between Marvin and Wendy? Friends? Relatives? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Are they even close?
2. See issue #11-12 of the comic.
3. Lex is 46.
3b. Ra's is between 600 and 700 years old. (I haven't fixed an exact birth date for him.)
4. NO COMMENT.
5. Metropolis is on the East Coast. Star City is on the West Coast.
6. NO COMMENT.
7. NO COMMENT.
10. Best platonic friends.
1) How long have Robin and Kid Flash known each other?
2) How long has Wally known Robin's secret identity?
3) If it's not a spoiler: what made Robin decide to tell him? I know they're best friends, but considering how secretive Batman is about that kind of thing, it seems like a pretty big deal.
1. Less than two years.
2. Less than that.
3. It is a big deal. Otherwise: SPOILERS.
Here (http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Infiltrator#Trivia) it says:
When Cheshire is about to kill Dr. Serling Roquette at the end, she desists because the creation of the virus is completed. When this happens, Roquette's laptop emits a sound that's very similar to that of Ben's Omnitrix in Ben 10, another Cartoon Network show.
Was that on purpose?
No. Not even sure if it's true.
YOUNG JUSTICE Episode #10 ("Targets") Credits
We're back, babies!!!
Young Justice Theme and Music By
Written And Performed By
Casting & Voice Direction
Starring The Voices Of
Crispin Freeman as Red Arrow
Danica McKellar as Megan Morse
Nolan North as Conner Kent, Marvin White
Khary Payton as Aqualad
Nick Chinlund as Sportsmaster
Oded Fehr as Raâs al Ghul
Kelly Hu as Cheshire
Masasa Moyo as Cat Grant, Wendy Harris, Karen Beecher
Yuji Okumoto as Tseng, Singh Manh Li, Xiaping
Kevin Michael Richardson as John Jones, Mal Duncan
Mark Rolston as Lex Luthor
Greg Weisman as Lucas Carr
Based On DC Comics Characters
Batman Created By
Miss Martian Created By
Geoff Johns and Tony Daniel
Cheshire Created By
Marv Wolfman and George Perez
Assistant Production Manager
Lead Character Design
BG Key Design
Animation Timing Director
James Tim Walker
R. Michel Lyman
Ink & Paint
Main Title Animation
MOI Animation, Inc.
Wut It Is
Supervising Dialogue/ADR Editor
Mark A. Keatts
Patrick J. Foley
Post Production Manager
Dialogue Recording Studio
Recording Machine Operator
Jeff O. Collins
Post Production Sound Services
Audio Circus, Inc.
Christopher D. Lozinski
MOI Animation, Inc.
Young-Soo Yoo (Director)
Byoung-Ryul Kim (Director)
Gyu-Han Yoo (Director)
Executive In Charge Of Music
Business And Legal Affairs
Joulene St. Catherine
Executive in Charge of Production
Executives In Charge Of Production For Cartoon Network
Brian E. S. Jones
This motion picture is protected under the laws of the United States of America and other countries. Any unauthorized duplication, copying, distribution, exhibition or use may result in civil and/or criminal prosecution.
Â© 2011 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Country of first publication United States Of America
YOUNG JUSTICE and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and Â© DC Comics.
Warner Bros Animation Inc. is the author of this film/motion picture for the purposes of Article 15 (2) of the Berne Convention and all national laws giving effect thereto.
There are, as always, a bunch of people who ALSO helped out but don't receive credits on screen for various (legal and precedent) reasons.
A handful (in no particular order) include...
Dan Soulsby - Talent Coordinator
Eric Lewis, CAS - Dialogue Sound Mixer
Chris Eaton - Assistant Engineer
Otis Van Osten - Sound Supervisor
Ron Salaises - Sound Effects editor
Carlos Sanches - Re-Recording Mixer
Stacy Michaels - Foley Mixer
Alex Ulrich - Foley Walker
I know I'm probably forgetting some folks, and I REALLY apologize! If you send me a reminder, I'll pimp you in another post!
Will season two only have 20 episodes, or is there still a change of reaching 26 episodes?
Hey Greg has it been some time and got a lot of questions. 1. Since Kobra is in this universe does that mean a chance of Checkmate existing in this universe. 2. Has Superman and Batman worked together before the League. 3. Who was that Miss Martian look-a-like in the front of the classroom. Did you run out of character models, an animation mistake, or was that supposed to be the actor from "Hello, Megan". 4. I'm surprised Superboy showed restraint from fighting Mal Duncan just because of Miss Martian. Just really telling me their relationship has gone very far. 5. I just want to comment on the description of episode 11. Does Batman know what he's doing by sending Miss M and Superboy to island of supercriminals. Sure it'll give them some time as if they didn't have enough but isn't that a little too much for teenagers.
1. NO COMMENT.
2. NO COMMENT.
3. Just another girl.
4. Was that a question?
5. What island?
Are you aware of this?
Hi, Greg! I have a few questions I have been compiling all this time:
1) Will the Ice Family Attack from "Independence Day" be revisited/explained?
2) Will we get flashbacks, a la "City of Stone"?
3) You say you don't like to spoil your own shows, but you revealed here that Marina Sitris would be voicing Queen Be. Wasn't that a big spoiler since she was also voicing L-4? Or were you sandbagging us somehow?
4) Could you give us the titles of the episodes that are in the can?
1. NO COMMENT.
2. You mean, ever?
3. I didn't reveal that Marina would be voicing Bee. Unfortunately, much as I love her, MARINA revealed that to my chagrin.
4. Yes, I could.
You mentioned before that the timestamps for "Drop Zone" were fixed, however to date Cartoon Network has never aired the corrected version of the episode in all the times that it has been rerun.
1) On that note, does the hard-to-find Young Justice Season One Volume 1 DVD have the corrected version of "Drop Zone"?
2) Was Red Tornado's incorrect bio from "Welcome to Happy Harbor" ever fixed?
Are you absolutely SURE about that. Cause we spent a small fortune to fix them. I find it hard to believe they're using the incorrect versions.
1. I sure hope so.
2. We couldn't afford to fix that. Drives me crazy, but there you go.
Does Nekron and the White Life Entity exist on Earth 16?
Who killed Batman's parents on Earh 16?
1. NO COMMENT.
2. Joe Chill.
1. Do the justice league members know each others secret identities?
2. Does Batman have a dog yet?
3. Who was the first superhero on Earth 16?
4. What other golden age superheroes besides the Justice Society existed on Earth 16?
5. Does Raâs Al Ghul know Batman secret identity?
6. Does Raâs Al Ghul uses the Lazarus Pit on Earth 16?
7. Did Clark Kent had any adventures as superboy on Earth 16?
8. So what happened to Earth 16 Chris Kent from countdown?
9. Has anybody from Earth 16 interacted with the other earths of the multiverse or has any knowledge regarding the multiverse?
10. How Lex Luthor did gain his wealth on Earth 16?
11. Is Lex Luthor father named Lionel?
12. Does Lex Luthor have a sister on Earth 16?
13. Has Clark Kent meet the Legion of Super Heroes yet?
14. Are there any other kryptoians besides superman and superboy?
15. Who are the Justice League love interests?
16. Is John Stewart a marine on Earth 16?
17. Does Hal or John power rings have a weakness against yellow?
18. Who were the members of the Justice Society?
19. Was Alan Scott the Green Lantern on Earth 16 and if so could his ring work on wood?
20. Are there any other different types of krptonites besides the green kind if so what are they and what can they do?
21. Why did the Justice Society disband?
22. Were their any superheroes during the 60âs, 70âs, 80âs, or 90âs?
23. What happened to the supervillians during the gap between the justice society and league? Were they still running around or were most of them locked up or killed?
24. Do superheroes on Earth 16 kill some of their bad guys at all?
25. Did Clark and Lex grow up together?
26. Did the Justice Society fight in Europe during World War 2 or were they kept away because of the spear of destiny?
27. Are the Freedom Fighters still around?
28. Were the Justice Society ever asked by the congress to unmask themselves in the 50âs to prove they were not commies?
29. Why didnât yaâll used Arkham in the episode terrors?
30. Are there any other power rings besides the Green Lantern Corps rings on Earth 16?
31. Do all the characters that exist on New Earth aka the DCU excluding the recent Wild Storm characters have a counterpart on Earth 16? Such as Static, Jonah Hex, Adam Strange, Kid Devil, Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Cyborg, Deadman, Zauriel, Ragman and etc?
32. Why was the team fighting Clayface in downtime?
33. How Icicle Jr. did obtain his powers?
34. Does Earth 16 have the Meta-Gene concept?
35. Is the Light kinda of like the Illumanti of conspiracy lore?
36. Did Vandal Savage work with the Naziâs during World War 2?
37. Why did yaâll make Vandal Savage black?
38. Is the Light goals are to simply kill all the superheroes and take over the world or is it something more than?
39. Since the League has a U.N charter does that mean certain people in government know their secret identities?
Do other countries besides America have superheroes on Earth 16?
1. Some do, some don't.
2. SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
3. I guess it depends on your point of view. Does a pre-Kent Nelson Doctor Fate (i.e. Nabu with a different host body) count? Does Vandal Savage? Does Black Adam? Ra's al Ghul? All of them were heroes to some at one time or another. Otherwise, I'd guess I'd say Doctor Occult and Rose Psychic - though they were never very public about it, followed by the Crimson Avenger, who was the first "Mystery Man" to deubt in 1938.
4. SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
5. SPOILER REQUEST to be answered in issue #11 of the YJ comic.
6. SPOILER REQUEST to be answered in issue #11 of the YJ comic.
7. Not in costume.
8. Don't know anything about him.
9. Not that I know of.
10. Haven't worked that out at this time.
11. Sure, why not?
12. SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
14. SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
15. Come on. I'm not just going to write big lists for you here. Frankly, I think you got a little greedy. 39 questions in one post make for a real pain to answer.
16. Not anymore.
18. No lists.
19. Yes and yes.
20. NO COMMENT.
22. NO COMMENT.
23. NO COMMENT.
24. NO COMMENT.
25. NO COMMENT.
26. NO COMMENT.
27. NO COMMENT.
29. You haven't even seen it yet. How do you know we didn't?
30. NO COMMENT.
31. NO COMMENT.
32. See issue #12 of the YJ Comic.
33. Born with them.
34. NO COMMENT.
35. NO COMMENT.
36. NO COMMENT.
37. And again - you haven't even seen him yet.
38. Here, let me spell out all their goals in this post. Oh, wait. I don't think I will.
39. Certain people in certain governments know certain heroes' identities. But it ain't policy.
39a. NO COMMENT.
1) Kent Nelson was said to be 106 years old, but was he aged by Nabu like in the mainstream DCU, or did he actually live 106 years?
2) How old are Cheshire and Green Arrow?
1. He lived 106 years.
2. Cheshire is 19. Green Arrow is 32.
Would you be so kind as to list the writers for Young Justice episodes 11-26 of season 1?
The writers of the first 24 episodes of Season One are "asked and answered" here: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=12521
Kevin Hopps wrote 125. I wrote 126.
Is Invasion the title of the second season of Young Justice, or is it just the title of the first arc of the second season?
"YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION" is the title of the entire second season's worth of 20 episodes.
1) Why was Mammoth chosen to be Kobra's champion?
2) Did Mammoth or Shimmer know the kobra venom would make him monstrous in appearance? Are either of them bothered by his new appearance?
3) How old are Mammoth and Shimmer? If they're the same age, who's the older sibling?
1. Kobra trusted him.
2a. They knew it was a possibility.
3. They are 18-year-old twins.
As we fast approach our RE-PREMIERE, thought I'd give another update...
Episodes 101-109 have aired.
Episode 110, which we previewed officially at Comic-Con will finally air on Cartoon Network this Friday, September 16, 2011 at 6:30pm (or check local listings).
Episodes 111-121 are all in the can, ready to air.
Episode 122 is in post. We'll be mixing the sound next week.
Episode 123 is also in post. We'll be editing/locking the footage this Friday while some of you are watching 110.
Episode 124 is finishing up animation in Korea.
Episode 125 just came back from Korea - EARLY!! (That almost never happens.) We will be calling retakes on the footage shortly.
Episode 126 is finishing up animation in Korea.
Episodes 201-202 have both shipped to Korea for animation.
Episode 203 ships this week.
Episode 204 is in storyboard revisions. Brandon and I still need to give notes on the last act.
Episode 205 is waiting on storyboard notes too.
Episodes 206-207 are in storyboard.
Episode 208's script went final today. We'll record it next week.
Episode 209's script is currently being edited by me.
Episode 210 is in script.
Episode 211's outline is waiting to be edited by me.
Episodes 212-214 are in outline.
Episodes 215-217 we'll be handed out today (9/14) to the writers to go to outline.
Episodes 218-220 we'll be handed out next week to the writers. Beatsheets are completed though.
Issues 0-7 plus the Free Comic Book Day issue have all been released.
Issue 8 is finished and should "hit the stands" this month.
Issue 9 is being inked.
Issue 10 is being pencilled. But the cover is done.
Issue 11's script was turned in by me yesterday. The cover is done.
Issue 12's cover has been pencilled and inked. I know the basic story, but I'm going to begin breaking down the story page-by-page tonight.
Issues 13-14's story is also pretty clear in our heads. Kevin and I will discuss it today so Kevin can proceed to break the issues down page-by-page.