A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Hey Greg, big fan. Sorry to hear about your job issues and I hope by the time you answer this you will have found work, I'd hire you myself if I was rich enough or I knew how. <3
1. You say that M'gann's parents are Green and White and that she and her brother the only "White" looking Martians among her siblings. So does whether you become Green/White Martian work on a sort of "one drop" rule or is more random?
For example (and I phrase it this way so you would only have to give one answer)
Under One drop, if a Green mated with a White Martian the offspring would always be white. If its Random, a child could be green or white at various odds.
Or is it something way more complex like hair or eye color. I say this because its use analogous to the human concept of "ethnicity" and I wanted to know if it was like that on Mars or if was a different type of phenotype such as hair or eye color. Basically i just wanted to know how the "rules" of the colors worked and if stuff like a Red child being more to two Greens or like a "light green" martian was possible.
2. What comic book issue/story arc did the Red Martians first appear in in the DC Comics? Or are they an Original Creation named for the Barsoom concept.
3. You have been noted to be very devoted to comics continuity; going so far as to construct the Martian Language around names seen in the comics. So why is Mars' Martian name " M'arzz" rather than "Ma'aleca'andra" as seen in the 1988 Martian Manhunter series?
4. Speaking of, is "M'arzz" a cognate with the English word "Mars" or is that just an amazing coincidence ?
5. Finally I more avant garde question . Do you think you could be so kind to post the translation dictionaries for some of the conlangs you ,Nicole Dubuc and your other colleagues created such as Interlac, Martian, New Genisian etc? Since it's not a story or a plot I assume its okay through your guidelines. I just thought it'd be a nice treat for the fandoms of those shows.
Thank you Greg, Mad love from MD! :)
1. Martians - even Martians of mixed parentage - are still born either Red, Green or White. Doesn't mean a White Martian like M'gann doesn't have, well, green genes in her. But she still is white in appearance unless shape-shifting her color. The stigma attaches to the skin color, less so to the parentage/heritage. So most of M'gann's siblings faced relatively little prejudice. But she and one of her brothers, who by luck of the genetic draw came out white, weren't so fortunate.
1a. There are various shades of green. And of red. And of white. But a light Green Martian is not necessarily the child of a White and Green Martian. It doesn't work that way.
1b. There is no way a Red Martian could be born to two white parents or two green parents or a white and a green parent. At least one (but not both) of the Red Martian's parents must also be Red. Same with Green or White Martians. At least one of your parents is going to be the same basic color as you are.
2. They come from DC Comics, but if I revealed where it would act as a SPOILER.
3. I'm an imperfect human being. My research was imperfect too. Though at the time, there was a reason why I chose that name. See the answer to question 4.
4. Heh, heh, heh...
5. I think I've posted most everything we have at this point of the Interlac, Martian and Atlantean languages. Nicole may have more on Rannian, since she cribbed that by studying what Alan Moore did in Swamp Thing. And I used my own fictional language from one of my original (but unsold) properties for New Genisian. I have more on that one, but because I still have hopes of doing something with that someday, I won't be posting more of it at this time.