A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Hi Greg! Here are some rather odd-ball questions that you may or may not have thought about regarding the worldbuilding/characterization in YJ, that I hope you'll have fun answering/pondering about.
#1 - Do Martians (in their natural form) have tear ducts? We've seen Miss Martian cry in her more humanoid-looking Martian appearance, but I don't believe we've ever seen Martians (like J'emm, for example) shed tears.
#2 - Do you interpret the main colors of hero's costumes to symbolize that character's favorite color? For example, do you think Dick's favorite color is blue, given that's the color of his Nightwing insignia? Artemis' green/orange? Barry's red? Batman's black? Etc. etc.?
#3 - I know you're big on tracking dates and times and all that jazz, but are you a stickler for checking such things as the moon cycle, days of the week, differing sunsets/sunrises, etc. etc. when coming up with dates? For example, say you had a scene take place right after midnight on August 16 (of whatever year), would you go and check what stage the moon would be that night? What day of the week that landed on? Etc. etc.
#4 - In the recent episodes of Artemis' arc, it was revealed that Onyx was the granddaughter of Will Everett, a.k.a. the Amazing Man, who Cheshire (and later Artemis) seemed to be unaware of. It was evident that the League of Shadows knew about him (it was why they kept an eye on her in the first place), but given that everyone else hadn't heard of him, is it safe to say that the history of superheroes just isn't a basic subject in school? Do kids not learn about the Justice Society of America or the All-Star Squadron when learning about World War II? (I realize that Amazing Man might not have been a member of either superhero group, but given Onyx's reaction to him not being known it seemed to imply he was at least a public hero and not a covert one).
#5 - Is Bart legally known as Bart Allen or Bart Garrick on his documentation? I know his guardians were the Garricks, but was he posing as their grandson? An orphan taken in by them? A relative of Barry and Iris? This might constitute a spoiler, but I thought I'd ask anyway. The situation kind of reminds me of how Artemis officially handled her "death" back in S2 from a legal standpoint once she came back from undercover, if that makes sense.
Anyways, thank you for your time. I hope you had some fun (or at least some food for thought?) answering these, and I sincerely hope you're having a great day. I'm still binging YJ:Phantoms and crossing my fingers for S5 every day!
#1 - Haven't given it any thought. I'd have to confer with Brandon for a final answer, but I'm leaning toward... yes or maybe no.
#2 - Not necessarily.
#3 - I try to remember to check things like that, but it's already hard enough, so I'm definitely not a stickler. I do try to get the times of sunsets and sunrises correct in various locations.
#4 - He was a public hero. I doubt it's a school subject. And I'm not sure I agree that Tigress didn't know about him. Keeping one's response close to the vest can be prudent.
#5 - Bart Allen. No one said he was posing as their grandson. Jay and Joan were his legal guardians. That doesn't mean they had to be blood relatives - even fictional blood relatives.
Is Henchy an original character, based on someone from the comics, or both?
Have you ever thought of doing a motion comic where the actors read the whole comic?
1. He's more-or-less original. He's based on a model created for the Green Arrow Showcase short and a specific voice that I love, which actor Steve Blum has used for me in multiple series: Raythor (W.I.T.C.H.), Blackie Gaxton (The Spectacular Spider-Man), Zeb (Star Wars Rebels).
2. Yes. I'd love to do that. But there's no budget for it, generally. The YJ Wiki did a few using volunteer labor and volunteer voice actors. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42QKFkSy4DU
Oh, and what the heck, here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3Z2b-UlTE
A. Does Will Harper know Moo Gi Gong? What martial arts does he practice?
B. Does Will train regularly with the other Star City vigilantes?
A. I've never done the research into this.
B. Nowadays? When he has time, I suppose. (And by "other Star City vigilantes," I assume you're talking about the Arrow Family.)
How did Steve Dayton find out were Beast Boy and Miss Martian living at so he takes Beast Boy from Miss Martian?
I've never given it much thought. I guess the logistics of that don't interest me all that much. Beast Boy's legal guardianship was transferred to Megan Morse after the death of Rita Farr. There must have been an address of record. And Steve probably had some intel about Megan from his Doom Patrol days. It's not like Gar and M'gann never saw each other back then.
Artemis Arc ends and i feel thats the time to me do some questions
1- In Marzz Arc we see a flashback with Tim Drake with the outsiders, is that right, a Batfamily member being a public hero?
2- Also Tim's uniform changed a lot since Season3, the same season that introduced Barbara as Oracle and Spoiler and Orphan already on the team. The questions are:
2a- Tim is Robin or Red Robin currently?
2b- If the last Stephanie was a Robin before being Spoiler?
2c- She and Cassandra were Batgirl at some moment or they started already as Spoiler and Orphan?
2d- Which year these two joined the team?
3- I really love how different the show decided adapt The Killing Joke event. Barbara's accident and Jason's death are two events the audience already saw so many times that it started being previsible but the show was in a totally original route, thank you. That's bring the question, when (Team Year) The Killing Joke event happened in YJ?
4- Artemis Arc was full or photos portraits and two of them intrigued me. When and where Will and Jade took that photo with Lian and most importantly when Will took that photo with the Team 0? Rocket joined in the end of Season1 and is in the picture and after Season1 Will was desesperate looking years for Roy, also Megan is too young there then sure that is before Season2. When Will found time to take that picture?
1. Yep. Keep in mind, back in Season One, Robin was a public hero. BATMAN & ROBIN, the DYNAMIC DUO! Most people don't really get that this is a different Robin, anyway.
2b. The last Stephanie? Anyway, no. Stephanie's first - and so far only - nom de guerre is Spoiler.
2c. Spoiler and Orphan. There's only been one Batgirl to date: Barbara.
2d. Feels like I answered this already, but Spoiler joined in Team Year Eight. She also resigned from the Team in Team Year Eight. She rejoined in Team Year Nine. Orphan joined the Team in Team Year Nine.
3. If you mean the event at the U.N. when Batgirl was injured, it occurred in Team Year Eight.
4. That photo of the Team was taken in the Hall of Justice Library on the day - but just before - Red Arrow was officially inaugurated into the League. I mean, I shouldn't even tell you that. But all the evidence is there, including the winter clothes and the BG, so I figure it's pretty obvious.
Hello! I hope you're having a good day, I just wanted to stop by and ask some questions about the relationships (specifically, the married couples) in Young Justice.
1. You've been asked this before, but at the time you said that you never got around to calculating the date. I figure there's a chance you've done the math since then, so: what year did Orin and Mere get married?
2. What year did Clark and Lois get married?
3. What year did Jonathan and Martha Kent get married?
4a. What year did Jefferson Pierce and Lynn Stewart get married?
4b. What year did the two of them get divorced?
5. Given that Raquel had a bridal shower, it can be assumed she indeed got married not long after. Not asking for spoilers or a specific date or anything, but did you guys have the actual wedding date in-mind or just a vague timeframe?
I figure these are generally safe questions to ask, given that you've previously answered a similar question about when Iris and Barry got married. If not, though, I do apologize for wasting your time. I hope all is well, and given the nature of these questions, I hope your wife is having a nice day too! Enjoy!
1. Nope. Sorry.
2. This one's easier to narrow down, but I haven't put it in the timeline, as of this moment.
4a. Team Year Zero.
4b. Not yet on the timeline.
5. No spoilers.
I know you've discussed this a lot, so no offense will be taken if you skip this question, but in terms of the character that is gay but tptb won't allow to be, how did you come to that conclusion?
Did you know before you even started writing the character? Or was it something that clicked after the character was on the page? Was there a specific scene or moment? Or was it just a desire for representation?
Also, getting LGBT representation right is hard. And there's a lot of traps people can fall into, even among those in the community. Just wanted to say I think you've gotten a lot right and appreciate that you've always tried to do right by the community, despite the limitations that have been placed on you in the past and the one that still is.
Fingers crossed that last one is lifted soon though! Know you're trying your best and that's all we can ask for!
I don't know that we started out thinking that particular character was gay OR straight. It wasn't an issue. But, yes, after putting the character on paper, it felt right for that character. We're always looking for an opportunity to increase our representation in all sorts of categories, and we were very much caught off guard when told this one character could not be objectively labeled as gay. Especially since we'd been writing him that way and setting up his relationship for some time, so it couldn't have come as a great shock.
And thanks for your kind words, Kyle. I don't think we always get things quite right, but we are trying and strive to do better all the time.
In Phantoms, you have thus far been more conservative with depictions of sex, language, and violence & gore. This is not a criticism - just an observation. Is this a deliberate decision on your part, or has the shift from DC Universe to HBO Max imposed more limitations upon your subject matter? Or, is it a combination of the two?
I don't think we have. But in any case, we've had no additional limitations "imposed" on us by HBO Max.
1. Are the prosthetics that Cyborg has made of materials from the Reach device that exploded next to him? I ask because he told Beast Boy that Blue Beatle helped him discover a weapon in his are and Blue Beatles armor is all nanotech.
2. Does this mean that the Fatherbox that made those prosthetics repurposed the material from the Reach device to make those prosthetics?
3. So Cyborg is Apokoliptian tech, possible made of Reach material depending on how you answered the first two questions, with Mobius tech software? I am asking is his Operating System Mobius tech since the Fatherbox soul is gone or did the Chair change the hardware somehow?
1. I don't think so. But it'd be a good question to discuss with Brandon Vietti. But I think for the most part that Cyborg's prosthetics are New God tech.
2. Again, I don't think so.
3. Apokoliptan tech with Mobius software sounds about right to me.
Hi! Iâve been watching Young Justice since 2014 and have been a big fan for years I have a couple of questions, which I hope arenât spoilers bc I donât want to ask for any.
1. How did Will choose his name?
2. Why is it that in season 1 when Kid Flash, Robin and Kalder were captured by Cadmus that they were going to clone them and delete or kill the source but after they cloned Roy they kept him alive. They said that the reason they amputated his (Roy) arm was to have an endless supply so why did they want to keep him but not the other three?
3. Do you have a favorite or rather one you are most proud of out of all the character archâs through out the seasons?
3a. If so whoâs is it?
3b. And from what season?
(My favorite character arcâs are probably Artemis in season one, Mâgann in S2 and Nightwing in S3 and idk yet for s4 but they are really good from the episodes Iâve seen so far)
1. The original Roy's full name is Roy William Harper. So the clone Roy thought that was his full name, as well. After the original Roy came back, the clone started going by his middle name, William - or Will for short.
2. By that time, the technology had advanced enough that Dr. Desmond no longer felt the need to keep the source bodies.
3. My brain doesn't work that way. I love 'em all.
3a. See above.
3b. See above.