A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Hi Greg. I'd like to ask for some career advice.
1. I would love to write for animation. Besides writing as much as possible, what steps should I take that would make me a better writer for this art form?
2. I love animation, but cannot draw nearly good enough for any type of decent storyboarding. Is this something I need to fix in order to write for animation? I'm good at describing what I want to see, but I'm worried not being talented at drawing will hurt my chances.
3. I'm curious on your stance in terms of writing CAMERA ANGLES and TYPES OF SHOTS in the script. Traditionally, I've been taught to leave that to the director as much as possible. How do you tackles this when you write?
4. In action sequences, how detailed do you go? Do you give a general description for the director or an actual play-by-play. For example, is it more: "they trade punches, parrying each other until Clara gets an opening and hits Harry across the face." OR "Clara goes for the uppercut, but Harry leans back and dodges, then attempts to sweep her legs. Clara jumps over the kick, then grabs his shoulders, and head butts her opponent. She makes up for the previous miss with a fist to the face." (Just came up with that, so obviously not the best examples but hopefully that suffices).
4. What should I do to get hired on a show? I know that connections are key, but as someone who has no connections, what's the best thing for me to do? I have a spec of another show and a pilot for an original series. I'd love to be a writer's assistant, but that also comes about through connections. I have occasionally messaged a creator on social media and asked if there was any opportunities on their show, but I know that's hardly a good method to pursue a career. Any guidance on this aspect would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these fan questions.
1. Sebastian, I'm going to refer you to the ASK GREG Archives on "Writing" and "Writing Tips" and "Biz, The". No offense, but I've answered this basic question so many times, it's kinda pointless for me to right it up again.
2. I can't draw stick figures well.
3. When I began in animation, we used to do much more directing in our scripts, as opposed to live action scripts, where you are advised to stick to Master Shots. Nowadays, we limit that calling of shots and angles, etc., to specific needs, e.g. we need a close-up on that light switch being turned off or a wide shot to reveal who is in the room or a tight close-up on a character's lips turning up into a cruel smile, etc.
4. I go for the specifics, because it expands page count. And page count equates to time. And if you're script is too long, you'll have to cut. So we try to get an accurate sense of time in the script, even if the board artists chose to choreograph the fight a bit differently.
5. Pre-pandemic, my first question would have been, "Where do you live?" And if your answer was anywhere other than Los Angeles, my second question would have been "When are you moving to Los Angeles?" Now, all the old rules are out the window, at least for the time being. I'm not sure what to recommend. Some of the advice in the archives should still be helpful. Otherwise, we're all just going to have to wait and see what happens, post-pandemic - assuming we ever get post-pandemic.
In "Princes All" when Batman quits the Justice League with a few fellow members, Wonder Woman yells out "Bruce, please!" to the entire room.
1. Does this mean that everyone present (Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Captain Marvel, Red Tornado, Doctor Fate, Plastic Man, Black Lightning, Zatanna, Rocket, Aquaman (Kaldur), Hardware, Katana, Batwoman, Steel, and Miss Martian) was already aware of Batman's secret identity? Or are several Leaguers now just aware of Batman's first name?
1. They were all aware.
1. How did you decide on Wyynde for Kaldur's romantic interest? Were you set on it being a former Atlantean purist?
2. I'm curious as to when Kaldur first started to realize when he was attracted to more than just women. Do you picture him struggling with it or was he very open minded about himself from the beginning?
3. When you were writing season 1 and 2, was there a storyline or character you wanted to showcase Kaldur's sexuality with, but couldn't?
4. How did Wyynde and Kaldur meet? Who asked who out? If you're planning on showing this at some point then I get the #NoSpoilers
1. Brandon and I discussed it, and Wyynde seemed like the right choice.
1a. That was one factor, but not the only one.
2. Brandon and Khary and I have had many discussions about this. We think, generally, that Atlantis is way more open-minded than the surface world. But as for Kaldur's story (and mindset) specifically... NO SPOILERS.
3. Not particularly. We were playing the long game with Kaldur. He was in love with Tula. He and Raquel dated briefly between Seasons One and Two. But it would take time for Kaldur and Wyynde to find each other as a couple.
4. Well, they met at the Conservatory of Sorcery. They were classmates there before Kaldur became Aqualad. As for the details of how they became a couple... again, no spoilers.
i know it doesnt matter but where was garfield during 3x20
I'll leave that to your imagination for now. Otherwise, no spoilers.
I want to ask how old is Joan Garrick? You had previously said that she was 88 at the end of Season 1. However, recently at SDCC, you said she was 98, when she died.
If I said that at SDCC, I misspoke. Joan died at age 95 or 96 - that is, she would have been 96 by the end of Team Year Eight, had she survived that long. I haven't set the actual day and month of her birth.
R.I.P. Joan Williams Garrick.
How old is Courtney Whitmore?
At the end of Team Year Nine, Courtney is 16.
In "Quiet Conversations," we see the Source Wall for the first time in the Young Justice universe. Considering what happened to it in "Dark Knights: Metal," how can it still remain intact on the show?
We're a different (DC Universe-16) continuity.
In the Young Justice Episode "Coldhearted," Vandal Savage claimed to have a "Reckoning" with the Flash. Since this was said as part of Count Vertigo's plan to distract Wally, Has Savage ever actually fought the Flash before?
Blown away by this episode, Greg! Great job!
1. How old is Cullen Row?
2. How old is Unnamed-Meta-Teen-A41?
3. How old is Gabrielle Dau's mother?
4. How old is Gabrielle Dau's cousin?
By the END of TEAM YEAR NINE...
1. Cullen is 13.
2. Delphis is 19.
3. Madia Daou is 35.
4. Samad Daou is 20.
Hey! So what was that spell Zatanna used to transport Klarion to the Tower of Fate? As in, the non-reversed form of the words? I couldn't catch it.
"Rehtaf, ediug ym yenruoj hguorht Sâetaf Yloh Hkna!"
How old is Lia Briggs?
At the end of Team Year Eight, Lia is 16.
After Season 2 was over, you confirmed that the designations 27 and 28 were assigned shortly after the season came to a close. We know that there are well over 28 Leaguers by the time we pick up with Season 3, so...
1. Are the characters you intended to give those designations to in 2013 the ones who did end up getting them when you revisited the series canon for Season 3?
If so, 2. Were you always planning for Kaldur to join the Justice League shortly after Season 2 concluded?
I wanted to ask a couple questions!
1) Why did Zatanna choose Artemis as the person to go with her to see her father?
2) How long has Zatanna been in her magician career and weill we ever see it on screen?
1. They're close friends.
2. Since before her dad became Doctor Fate.
2a. No spoilers.
this isn't a question but in nightmare monkeys when gar ask the monkey god why he sound like wally he should of said im no therapist but if i have to guess you never head me talk and you mind came up with a person that you close to
That's as good an interpretation as any.
Hello again Mr. Weisman! I now have a question about Hunter/Robyn Canmore if You Don't Mind!
While Robyn is out with the Redemption Squad, What Exactly Is Her Known Public Statis?
Do the Authorities Think She's Out on Parole?
Do they Think she Escaped and skipped the Country?
Or Do They and the Public Think that Robyn's Still in Jail?
Hi, Greg. Hope youâre well.
Because of some of the issues surrounding the Captain Marvel name, we know that Billy Batsonâs alter ego has had to be credited as Shazam in the later seasons, despite being Captain Marvel on Earth-16. Do these name issues affect your ability to be able to use Lieutenant and Sergeant Marvel on Young Justice? Do you purposely stray from the Marvel family so as not to upset pre-established canon?
The word "Marvel" is currently off-limits to us. This definitely threw us for a loop in Season Three, but we think we've since come up with a rationalization for Cap's name change. So whatever plans we have/had may proceed.
I always admired YJ for its diversity and was very excited to see a character like Halo, someone who's close to my ethnic background, represented.
But I have been utterly disappointed. More than that, I'm disgusted.
The way you guys have graphically killed her several times on screen is appalling. Yes, I realize she comes back, but to see a WOC go through such violent trauma again and again is damaging to audiences - particularly those who are like her. It is a common trope to violently traumatize and kill women and POC in comics and I thought YJ would be above that. Apparently not.
And then to find out that the actual Arab girl has really been dead since episode 1 and she's nothing but an empty husk for the motherbox...so she's not actual representation at all. She's not a real person.
I was one of the fans who rallied for YJ to return for years and now I will never support this show again. This honestly broke my heart a little.
Glad you got to feel progressive for using a woman in a hijab. I'm sure you're patting yourself on the back for it and won't actually care how people of that background feel.
I'm truly sorry that the character doesn't work for you.
I wish you'd continue to give us a chance throughout the end of Season Three and into Season Four. By July 24th, 2019, Halo's story was far from over. We probably did overdo it on the violent deaths. But the long-term plan was to show a girl (of color) who went from being a victim to a hero. I think we ultimately succeeded in that, but if it didn't/doesn't work for you, I understand.
As for Gabrielle being dead... well, that was built into the character Halo that we adapted.
But again, her story isn't over. And her hijab wasn't an arbitrary or cynical choice. In fact, the only thing in your post that seems unfair to me is your presumption that we were patting ourselves on the back in some cynical manner. We do care. We may fail. But that doesn't mean we're not trying. We've been working with the Muslim Public Affairs Council on Halo's character and others. They seem pretty happy with where we're taking the character long term. Maybe we didn't get there fast enough for you. But, again, I'd love for you to give us and Halo a second chance.
In young justice outsiders episode 19 it is said that beast boy is a emancipation minor . Why did his stepdad Steve Dayton let Garfield become a emancipation minor ?
Gar sued to become an emancipated minor. We don't know whether or not Dayton fought him on this, but if he did, he clearly lost the case.
Greg, what are Traci Thruston/Thirteen powers do they only cause bad luck or does she have greater mystical abilities?
I think what you see on the show speaks for itself.
By the time that you see this question, season 4 will probably have concluded, but I'll take my chances. I love Young Justice - thank you so much for this amazing show!
I have a few questions about "Elder Wisdom", which has just been released on DC Universe:
1) Is Troia an Amazon by birth or is she from man's world? She bears a strong resemblance to Wonder Woman and she referenced Hippolyta ("Mother") so I'm guessing that the former is true, but I wonder if you could confirm this now that she has had a prominent appearance in Young Justice, please.
2a) Does Troia have the alias Donna Troy in Young Justice?
2b) Has she *ever* had this alias on Earth-16? Troia is quite an unusual name so I wonder whether it stems directly from the name Donna Troy somehow, even on Earth-16.
3) We've only ever seen Garth in one outfit, even when he was Tempest in the Young Justice: Legacy game. Likewise, we've only seen one look for Troia at this stage, but is it also her costume from her time as a member of the Team?
4) I hope it's all right if I ask this question as well, please: do you still have plans to include Mary Bromfield in Young Justice? I know that you've said that you wanted to introduce both her and Troia in season 2, so that's why I'm asking about Mary even though this is a spoiler request. I hope that Mary will still get her due, whether it's in the final stretch of season 3 or in season 4. Hoping for some Marvel/Shazam Family love at some point in Young Justice.
Thank you so much for reading my submission! :)
Well, Season Four hasn't dropped as of this writing, though we do have fourteen episodes in the can, seven more in post-production and five being animated overseas, with all pre-production complete.
1. No spoilers.
2. As of Season Three she isn't using the name Donna Troy. No spoilers as to whether she ever did.
3. No spoilers.
4. It's not a spoiler to say that we still want to include her when it makes sense to.
You've always said that when adapting a character you like to make sure you stick to their core identity and values. What about Halo is sticking to her core character, since the Earth-16 version isn't really like the comics version.
To our thinking, our Halo is just like the comic version in every significant way. What seems different to you, beyond the obvious of her being Quraci and the fact that we exchanged her Gabrielle Doe/Daou and Violet Harper names?
Not really a question, just wanted to congratulate you and Brandon on getting SEASON 4 of YOUNG JUSTICE green-lighted. The show keeps going from strength to strength!
Thanks, Algae. Gratitude backatcha.
Was there always some kind of attraction between Will and Artemis? Or is the attraction between them from seeing their lost partners in the other?
I'll leave that to each fan's interpretation.
Not so much a question, but a congratulations on Young Justice Season 4. Season 3 is, so far, absolutely fantastic. I can't wait for Season 4
Thanks. Hopefully, you patiently finished Season Three first. ;)
I'm confused, it the future world of Bart's was erased, how come he, from that world, still exists? Shouldn't he have disappeared too if it was changed? Because his new future self now exists in the one he created. Or is he living on borrowed time and eventually his meddling with time will catch up to him? I'm just so confused about his whole time situation.
2. And if nothing happens, and he somehow survives to see himself born, how is that going to work? Is he going to die right upon conception, or upon birth? Or screw up and prevent his birth? This is just so bizzare.
Chronoton radiation made him immune to the changes. Eventually, a new Bart will/should be born. But our Bart might live to see that - live and HOPE that this new Bart never becomes him. But if you're asking whether they can co-exist, they can.
Yo Greg, did Will and Jade officially divorce between season 2 and season 3 of YJ? If this is too spoilerific, you can probably ignore this question.
I honestly don't think they bothered, but I reserve the right to change my mind (or have Brandon change it for me).
What do you think of Peter Parker in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
I generally like him quite a bit.
I wanted to include this on the Young Justice Wiki but somebody is threatening me not to. Are Bart Allen and Eduardo Jr. Dating in "Illusion of Control?"
I'm not allowed to say. I can say that Ed is gay and is dating someone.
Hello Greg, Besides the Joker, what villain in the young justice universe is currently the most sadistic and "pure evil" hearted?
That's a judgement call, and is often situational. I'll leave it for you to interpret the answer to this question for yourself.
In Young Justice, does The Light have a specific policy that if its members (even its board members) get caught or exposed, then they will be given up or will not be offered any sort of protection by the organization from the fallout of their own exposure?
I ask because it really does seem to be the trend, given the evidence presented. Ocean Master was caught, disgraced, and imprisoned, and The Light did little for him but quickly select his replacement and send Lady Shiva to murder him when he attempted to take revenge upon those who exposed him. Black Manta was caught, disgraced (even more), and imprisoned, and again The Light did nothing to help or extract him.
I guess there truly is no honor among thieves, huh?
Largely, yes. But "honor" is not at issue, if everyone is aware in advance of the repercussions.
Hey Greg. Let me just say I am a huge fan of Young Justice. I just want to ask you, you know that alien bird Beast Boy Shape shifts into, from the Planet Rann? Have you given that creature a name? Plus is it possible that Beast Boy can Shape shift into a Ma'alefa'ak?
1. We call it a Rannian lizard-bird.
2. By now, you've seen that he can.
First, I wanted to say, thank you for bringing Bart Allen into Young Justice! He's one of few characters I relate to with his impulsiveness, over affection (this gets me into so many misunderstood situations, it's not funny), protectiveness, who tries to be a good, loyal friend to those he cares for. And, originally who had no interest in what is suppose to be common for Teenagers, cause he had no hormones. As an asexual/aromantic, I always felt so out of place because of my lack of interest in such things. I felt so wrong at the time back then. My friends tried to correct me thinking that I was shy, or haven't found the right person. They'd force me into relationships despite my protest and uncomfortable feelings. My over affection to friends would also land me on the rumor mill of dating, which was a bit annoying. I can't begin to tell you how much it meant to see a character similar to yourself, that just might understand what you are going through. It really meant a lot to me when I discovered the Impulse comics. So, just thank you ever so much for adapting him! I love watching him on the show, and reliving what made me fall in love for the character again, even if not exactly the same. He's one of my all time favorites from the DC comics.
2. Does Bart still have his hyper-accelerated metabolism/hyper-aging problem he got upon being born with Barry's speed from the comics? This problem made him appear as 12, when he was really just two years old. Finding a cure for it was one of the reasons he went back in time, if I'm remembering right.
3. I'm not sure how to phrase this one. What would Professor Zoom look like in the Young Justice art style? Curious if he's have red/black eyes like the movies or be more like Flash tv style. And was he once considered to make an appearance in the past 2 seasons? I don't want spoilers for new episodes, hate that, but curious about the past ones. Figured last episodes are safe to ask about.
4. Is it ok if I keep interpreting Bart as asexual/aromatic like me? I know about the shipping madness the fans have for the series, which doesn't help my feelings on being the oddball out, but I also know how fans are when others don't share their view (and I've experienced some hate for my sexuality in the past by fellow fans for portraying a character as such despite canon). I know it's ridiculous to ask, but is it ok? I just feel better making sure.
1. I'm glad you like Bart. We do too.
2. No. We chose not to adapt that into our version.
3. We haven't designed him, and I'm hesitant to guess at how our designers would've approached him, had we chosen to include him - which we never considered for past seasons. And I'm not much interested in hypotheticals.
4. It is okay for anyone to interpret anything in the show however they chose, of course. But I can't promise that every interpretation that fans come up with will survive future content.
Another great episode.
1. How old is Antonia âBig Wordsâ Rodriguez
2. How old is Tommi Thompson?
3. How old is Gabi Gabrielli?
4. How old is Thomas Thompson?
5. How old is Patrick MacGuire?
At the END of Team Year Eight...
1. Antonia "Big Words" Rodriguez is 15.
2. Tommi TOMPKINS is 17.
3. GABY Gabrielli is 16.
4. Thomas TOMPKINS is 52.
5. Patrick MAGUIRE is 45.
Is Young Justice still part of the core DC Multiverse? Grant Morrison released an entirely different comic in 2015 set in Earth 16 called âThe Just,â with no relation to the show. Are there two Earth-16s now?
You'd have to ask DC. They told us Earth-16 was ours, free and clear, so as a result we built our version of the DC Universe around that. Turns out 16 wasn't free and clear. But it was/is way too late for us to change things now. So, yeah, maybe there are two Earth-16s. But it's not for me to say.
What would have happened had Wolf challenged Coyote to take off his "battle armor" before he would have fought him in "Leader of the Pack"?
I dunno. I'm not too interested in hypotheticals.
... Did Demona ever know that Broadway shot Elisa accidentally?
Not that I know of.
In young justice outsiders episode 14 was the even of stealing woman's purse by a man stage by granny goodness against Garfield and if so what did granny goodness expect to happen Garfield because of it ?
I don't think so. But that's an interesting thought.
Is Markovia a former socialist state?
Episode 15 seems to imply so but it doesn't make much sense considering they still have a monarchy, which none of the former socialists states in real life Europe have, Unless it was a situation similar to the U.S. and Cuba (for example) with attempted assassinations on the royals, interference to boost communist support and other affairs.
Yes. For a time, during the Cold War.
Hi Greg I watched Season 2 of Gargoyles recently and I am left thinking about one character at the end of Hunter's Moon. I'm hoping you can help me with.
Low and behold Demona wants to kill the humans again. This time with a biological planetwide human killing virus and protect the Gargoyles from the virus with some sort of gargoyle magic statue.
There's two problems I saw with the plan.
One Demona herself is human in the day which means when the sun rises the virus would likely kill her. Which means she'll die every couple minutes while the sun is up due to her immortality.
Two even if her being a gargoyle at night protects her from the virus. It will do nothing to protect MacBeth who will die by her hand and as a result kill her for good with him wouldn't it?
As I was watching the episodes I thought they were problems with the plan until the very end where Demona once again flies off alone.
Is it really a problem with the plan, did she have everything covered, or did the destruction of her relationship with Angela break Demona to a point that she didn't care as long as she made a 'better' world for her race?
In her mind, she had all the bases covered. But with Demona, if there's an element of self-destruction inherent to her plans, that should come as no surprise.
How long has John Economos been the warden of Belle Reve?
Since Warden Strange was fired (in absentia) for freeing every single one of his prisoners.
Is Queen Bee from Young Justice a metahuman? Or did she get her powers artificially by augmenting herself?
1. How old is Thirteen?
2. How old is Lena Luthor?
3. How old is Lashina?
4. How old is Colonel Olga Ilyich?
5. How old is Holocaust?
At the end of Team Year Eight...
1. Thirteen is 16.
2. Lena is 34.
3. Lashina is biologically 15.
4. Olga is 45.
5. Holocaust is 19.
Fantastic episodes today! Can't wait to see the rest of 3B.
1. How old is Captain Boomerang?
2. How old is Dmitri Pushkin?
3. How old is Windfall?
4. How old is Big Barda?
5. How old is Hro Talak?
As of the end of Team Year Eight:
1. Captain Boomerang is 41.
2. Dmitri Pushkin is 34.
3. Wendy Jones is 13.
4. Big Barda is biologically 16.
5. Hro Talak is 52.
Is there a part of the Eyrie Building that could serve as a rookery for the Manhattan Clan?
Hello again Mr.Weisman! I'd just like to Say I'm one of the Lucky few Fans Who've just managed to Get the Graphic Novel Version of the Gargoyles: BAD GUYS series! And I LOVE IT! and Here are Some questions I Do Have for it if you Don't Mind!
1) I Don't Know if you Answered this Already, But Is there was reason why the 3rd issue was Drawn by a different Artist than the one who drew the Rest of the other Comics?
2)Since Dr. Sevarius works for Thailog Now at Nightstone Unlimited, Is it Possible That Thailog was IN or aware of Sevarius's Plan to turn everyonein Times Square on New Years Into mutants?
2. Anything's possible.
In Young Justice what is Lex Luthor motivations why did he decided to engage in illegal actives and does he sees himself as an hero?
Most versions of Lex just have him being greedy and power hungry what sets your versions of Lex from the others?
1. He sees himself above the laws of man, as he sees himself as superior.
1a. Of course.
2. I think our version is more charming than most, I suppose. Otherwise, I'll leave it to the audience to interpret.
Hi, these are just a few questions
1) Is Aquaman a full Atlantean or is he half Atlantean half human like in the comics (human father, Atlantean mother)
2) Is Orm his full brother or his half brother?
1. No spoilers.
2. No spoilers.
Why didn't Tim Curry return as G. Gordon?
Unfortunately, Tim, who'd suffered a stroke, wasn't able to voice him, at least not at the time we needed the work done for Season Three.
Is Blue Devil an official member of the Justice League and if so what is his designation?
By Season Three, yes.
And I don't reveal designations here.
1). Who were the 2 meta humans in the episode âAway Missionâ with Maâalefaâak?
2). Who was the meta human in the episode âEvolutionâ that Kalibak used as a bomb?
1. Blister and Giant.
2. He wasn't named, even in the script.
So weâre the members of the light in contact with one another or at least knew each other prior to Vandal Savage sending out the invitations?
Hey, Greg just a question. We already know you gave Superman a son like in the comics (Jonathan). But I have to ask why you didn't also use his older sister Lara?
Not complaining just asking your thoughts on that character.
Thank you Greg!
I'd never heard of the character. She seems to be the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman, who are not a couple on Earth-16. Now, if you had asked me about Laura Kent from SUPERMAN FAMILY #200, that would have been a whole 'nother thing.
1. Dick mentions that Geo-Force's suit was designed by Fire (of the Justice League). However, Fire wasn't in the League meeting in Outsiders episode 1, & if she is with the other half of the League in space, how can she design Brion's suit?
2. Does being an ambassador for Themyscira & Atlantis, prevent Troia or Garth from superheroics, as a potential conflict of interest?
3. Do you consider Spoiler & Orphan to be Batman's latest Proteges?
4. How long has Orphan been active as a crime fighter?
1. Long distance.
2. That's not how they're living their lives, but I'm sure if they saw a problem they'd step up.
3. Two of them.
4. No spoilers.
When Titania says in the episode 'I'll Met by Moonlight'..."even Puck may have mended his ways" what exactly does she mean by that? Was he always just extra?
in young justice 20# what else did megan and garfield talk about beside destinyshifting
On panel or off?
Hey Greg, in recent years with Barry Allen becoming DC's primary Flash once more, writers tend to blend his personality with Wally West's wisecracking, funny-guy routine. And while I recognize your Young Justice characters are not supposed to be a 1 to 1 parallel with the primary comic canon, I do understand you pull a lot of inspiration from that base. So I wanted to ask you what separates your Barry Allen's personality from your Wally West's?
Barry is more of a straight man, Gary Cooper type. Wally is... Wally.
First off Greg, I'm loving the third season of YJ so far! I'm especially glad you've introduced the Super Sons and more Milestone characters. Seven years ago, you said that if allowed, you'd love to put more Wildstorm characters in Outsiders. Are you allowed, since some of them were in Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox?
It's unclear, honestly. Since "The Wild Storm," (which I liked a LOT), I'm not sure what the policy is now.
Why as Garfield not allowed to go on the mission that kill all of the doom patrol but him and his step dad if Garfield was a active member of the doom patrol by that point in time ?
He was a sometimes member. Rita allowed him to go with when she thought the mission was relatively safe. But the final mission was known to be a suicide mission, so she didn't allow it.
Was the decision for Barbara and Dick to be together always endgame for him (i'm assuming since it's canon in basically all other depictions of two)
Is Katana a mute?
Nope. She's extremely laconic and professional.
How old is Casey Brinke
Casey Brinke is biologically 23 at the end of Team Year Eight.
Dear Greg, Gargoyles is one of my favorite animated series! How did you research or what source materials did you use to create Gargoyles lore, mythology etc?
The original development? Almost nothing, honestly. I extrapolated from the legend that scary creatures were put on old buildings to scare off evil spirits.
How did Rita Farr learn the information that marie logan had died after queen bee killed marie logan in young justice timeline ?
Her death was hardly a secret. If you're asking who made the phone call or whatever, no spoilers.
I've read your new "Magic: the Gathering" book, "Ravnica: War of the Spark".
I've barely any familiarity with "Magic: the Gathering" (about all I know about it, in fact, is that it's a fantasy-themed collectible card game that's been around for over twenty years); I confess that I found this one a bit harder to follow than your two Warcraft books. Apparently the main conflict (the group of people out to foil the plans of a megalomaniacal dragon) had been going on well before the book began, with plenty of deaths, betrayals, and other adventures already before the first page, which gave me the feeling of having walked into a movie about halfway through. (Those who know more about the "Magic: the Gathering" franchise than I did informed me that that conflict had entered the franchise several years ago.) Still, I got some sense of what was going on, and rather liked it.
I was amused by your two "Gargoyles" references - the mention of the Praying Gargoyle in a list of magical treasures and an echo of Hudson's remarks on names in a comment about one of the guilds' obsession with naming all its schemes.
I was brand new to Magic: the Gathering when I got the assignment, so I strove to write the book so that newbies like me (and you) would know everything they needed to know from the book itself. The problem isn't that one NEEDED intel that wasn't there. The problem is that one might FEEL like one needed intel that wasn't there. And there wasn't much I could do about that, as the storyline had begun years before. But I'm glad you liked it.
And I sneak a few Gargoyles references into absolutely everything I do. Everything.
you said Collector of Worlds is a alien android what is an alien android is it a robot that was created by aliens
It is an android created on an alien world.
Did Garfield Logan and Queen Perdita start spend most their free time together after they meet at wally's funeral or after Garfield begin living again with his stepfather ?
I don't know about "most of their free time". They've both been very busy throughout, and they're dating long distance (on two different continents), though with the benefit of resources like money, private planes, zeta-tubes, etc.
But their relationship started at the funeral, not after Gar moved to Brentwood.
As a writer and creative, you've been responsible for some of my most cherished childhood and adulthood favorites. Given your experience, I wanted to know what one's approach would be when they come up with a story that they could see manifesting as an animated series? Do you flesh the whole story out as if writing a novel, or do you try and create episodes on paper and tell the whole story; is the process entirely different altogether? I would love your insight on this sensei. Thank You
Are we talking about selling or producing? They're two very different processes.
How powerful is Zatanna?
Were you involved with the creation of The Spectacular Spider-Man intro, and if so what involvement?
That was mostly Vic Cook and Phil Weinstein, as I recall. Plus The Tender Box, who wrote and produced the show's theme song. But I did have input.
Hey greg I got one question for spectacular spiderman.
This is something I've always wondered in every version of Venom.
Why did the symbiote covered Peter's face like a "normal mask", but then started to show the scary teeth and the jaw when he became bonded with Eddy?
Thank you, Greg!
Each relationship was symbiotic. Take from that what you will.
Hey Greg another question for Young Justice.
This time for Superboy. In the show, he is usually shown as being "the tank" of the team. That is he is the member that can take the most damage and has the most physical strenght.
But, thinking about how Liutenant Marvel and Sargent Marvel were parts of the team of screen, I got some questions.
1.- Considering they, presumably, had their full SHAZAM powers, compared to Superboy who was missing his half kryptonian powers, Were Mary and Freddy stronger compared to Conner?
Billy is roughly Superman's equal as Captain Marvel, while Superboy has been shown as being weaker to Superman. Was the power difference between Mary and freddy compared to Conner just as big?
2.- If so, how did Conner feel about both of them being stronger than he was?
3.- Did he feel insecure about other teenage heroes being "better" or similar to him on his role as the team? or did he didn't mind like how he was ok with Billy?
Thank you greg!
1. Well, you have no idea how strong their "SHAZAM" powers were.
1a. Captain Marvel was roughly Superman's equal in Season One only.
1b. No spoilers.
2. I don't do hypotheticals.
3. I'll leave that to your interpretation for now.
Hey greg! I got to questions regarding young justice.
1.-First, how was Superman able to to have a biological son with Lois Lane. I mean, wasn't it established Kryptonian DNA was very incompatible with Human DNA?
I mean it in how Superboy wasn't able to donate blood to Beast Boy, and Megan had to do it instead.
Or how Lex Luthor had a lot of trouble deciphering Kryptonian DNA to the point match became an insane clone of Superman and Superboy himself doesn't have Kryptonian power just because he is half human.
2.-Second, do you have a power limit for members of the team?
I mean it mostly for storytelling purposes. For example( not asking the spoiler if these two would be part of the team)
But say, hypothetically a teenage Jessica Cruz (green lantern) or Supergirl (full-blooded Kryptonian).
In theory, Supergirl would be far more powerful than Superboy, and you've also mentioned how you lanterns might solve some plots too easily if they were around.
In team year 1, for example, Ivo mentioned how the sidekicks were mostly weaker than their mentors.
Again NOT ASKING about the spoiler if you would put them in team (for all We know Kara might not even care about joining the team). I'm just wondering if having too powerful characters compared to other members of the team would ruin the chances of certain team hero being on it.
thank you Greg!
1. When was that established?
1a. Lots of people with different blood types have kids.
1b. That seems to prove the opposite of your point.
2. Not necessarily.
Hey Greg just wondering if you noticed how Keith David mirrored Puck's role n gargoyles.
In Star vs the forces of evil, Keith plays Glossarick who is basically a magic mentor. In one episode he took a baby magical princess called Meteora in a magical adventure to teach her magic while her mother wasn't aware.
This reminded me of Puck doing the exact same thing with Puck and Alex Xanatos.
Just wanted you to know Goliath now went full circle and played Pucks' role. Cool, isn't it?
In response to your response to Millie about a gathering, you said you tried some cons. Did you try Florida Supercon? Jonathon Frakes is already supposed to be there, and I know Marina Sirtis comes every other year or so. It's not until July so you still have some time, and the showrunner - who recently sold but I think is staying on for a year or two as an advisor or something - is usually up for cool things. He also still runs the Louisville Supercon and Raleigh Galaxycon, and still owns those I think, so even if you can't get it done for Florida. I bet you'd have good luck with him somehow. (Spoken as a vendor who's done many of his shows, they're very well run and he tries to pack as much fun in as possible.)
I'm guessing your referring to celebrating Gargoyles 25th Anniversary, and we missed that, I'm afraid. Generally, in any case, I need to get invited to a convention. I don't really have the bandwidth to pitch myself to cons. And of course, the pandemic changed the whole paradigm.
Was the episode "Misplaced" inspired by the Sins of Youth storyline?
Nope. "World Without Grown-Ups".
Who's your favorite Captain America villain?
Um... probably Red Skull. Haven't given it much thought though.
Will Mr. Weisman be attending any 2019 conventions on the East Coast?
Um... did I? I can't remember now.
I definitely haven't attended any conventions in 2020 or 2021, except 2020's online DC FANDOME convention.
Was the light ever activated during World War 2?
Sorry to put you on the spot but...
Roy Thomas alleges here, https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04/18/an-open-letter-to-dc-comics-from-roy-thomas-on-paying-and-crediting-whats-due/ that DC Entertainment has not paid him royalties for their use of Artemis who he created. How do you feel about this?
Did DC ask you to change Artemis' name to Tigress or was it just a story/character decision?
DC did not ask us to change Artemis' name to Tigress. That was a purely story-driven decision. (And her name is still Artemis Crock.) Besides, to my thinking Roy created BOTH Artemis and Tigress (i.e. the Tigress version of Paula Brooks).
I worked as Roy's assistant editor at DC in the mid-80s. He was very good to me. And, of course, I personally think he deserves royalties on the Artemis character, no matter what she's called.
In the Bleeding Cool article linked above, he's wrong on only one point: when he says that virtually every other character in YJ has creators listed. Unfortunately, that's not true. No matter how many creators he sees credited on our show, the vast majority of characters still do not receive creator credits - or only include some but not all of their creators. How they decide who does and doesn't receive that credit (and the royalties that go with) is a complete mystery to me. I have been pushing back against this from Day One... to no avail.
Now, I might honestly get in trouble for posting this. And it won't change anything, anyway. So a big part of me is hoping that Ask Greg doesn't have much of a reach.
Or that I'm politically smart enough to delete this post.
But I'm not.
1. Is there an in-universe reason that Peter Parker doesn't try to join the Fantastic Four or really think about them at all? I understand they're celebrities who deal with unspecified "cosmic threats," but assuming the Baxter Building exists and is in New York I can't imagine why Peter wouldn't think himself at least worthy of their time. Reed Richards has a nearly god-level intellect and Sue Storm's force manipulation abilities have near-unlimited potential, but Spider-Man is at least in the same league as Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm, right?
2. Why is Kraven working with Doctor Octopus in "Gangland," as evidenced by Doc Ock trying to call him on his comm?
1. We had a definite plan (before scripts were written) to introduce Johnny Storm as Spidey's frenemy in Season One. And then move their story forward from there. But we weren't allowed to use Johnny or any of the FF, so we abandoned that.
2. They seemed sympatico.
What was about queen Perdita that cause Garfield logan to fall in love with her ? What was about Garfield that cause Queen Perdita to fall in love with garfield logan ?
Either that's a story for another day or I can leave it to your interpretation. ASK GREG isn't a forum for storytelling (generally).
what year did rita farr get her power of stretching in young justice timeline ?
TEAM YEAR TWO.
As of 301, what does Artemis do for a living? How does she make money?
She was a teaching assistant. She also gets a stipend from the League.
Why was there no bodyguards with Queen Perdida when she was out on her dates with Garfield Logan ?
Hi, I'm from Chile and on April 23 I'll be in Los Angeles California / Las Vegas (for the first time in the USA).
I'll be looking for the Magic book and I do not know where I can find it.
Can you tell me where you will sell it?
Beforehand thank you very much
(Excuse my English, but I had google translator)
I'm assuming you're talking about April, 2019. And it's now July, 2021. So I'm too late to help you. But War of the Spark: Ravnica & War of the Spark: Forsaken should both still be available via Amazon.com, in both English and Spanish.
Hello Greg. Artimes once said being naked is fun and an wondering how shy would you say is she ? Like would she be ok with other members of the team seeing her naked while they are on a mission ? Or care if someone walked in on her showering ?
I don't think she'd like either of those things, unless we're simply talking about other girls in a locker room/gym showers situation.
So Greg, I follow the show a lot, and I just want to know this, note that you don't have to answer this one if you don't want to if it seems spoilerific, but this may be a good question, would The Light view being outed as a nuclear option? Or would they have planned ahead ways to counter being outed to the public?
I don't think the mere existence of the Light being revealed would qualify as part of the Nuclear Option.
Hey, I'd just like to say I'm also mostly a huge fan of the Young Justice series. It got me really back into comics and DC in general when it first aired.
My Questions are:
1. What is Atlantis currency or do they have a bartering system and if they do have some kind of economy - when they joined the UN as of Season 3, do they export anything to the surface world? (Like Salt, in the older comics).
2. Does Kaldur have any residence on land or does he go straight back to Atlantis and if he does go back to Atlantis where does he live there?
3. I was reading some of the archived questions, as to not repeat any here, but this one that you answered long time back struck me as odd. (Ref post: https://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=17721 ) It was odd to me because I've been reading a lot of the older Aquaman comics (favorite hero and for something to do) but there is a specific reason as to why he does communicate with all sea life that's more so in line with the run between the 90s-early 00s before it got rebooted again (this is a rough estimation). Which is because of the Curse of Kordax (mentioned a lot during that run but full story is in Atlantis Chronicles) and a lot of mystical crazy stuff that went down that enabled Orin to communicate with all sea life and not just mammals and it looks like that sort of thing carried over.
So my question is- why *only* mammals and not the others? Why shouldn't he be able to connect with other marine based creatures since every mammal and a lot of non-mammals still have that marine aspect to them that's a leftover from evolutionary times. I'm just curious about that not that if he'll gain it or anything. It just seems like an interesting choice.
4. Does King Orin(former Aquaman) possess the/a Trident or is that particular Atlantean artifact going to be for someone else? I mostly ask this because it's always seems to be a staple of Aquaman lately and I was curious if it was in the king's possession or not.
5. Are we ever going to see more about either Atlantis or about how King Orin (Former Aquaman) and Black Manta's feud began at any point and time?
6. This is a silly question but it's one I've wondered about and I haven't seen anyone mention it- but how do Atlanteans take care of their basic needs? Like what do they use to keep themselves clean or get rid of waste and the like. It's been killing me slowly over the years and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this and how it affected Kaldur when he went on Land for the first time.
That's all,thanks for taking the time to read this. I normally don't send in or ask creators much about their stuff but I've been wondering this since the show started.
1. They have a currency of some sort. We haven't needed to work it out in any detail.
1a. Nor have we given much thought to trade practices.
2. He lives in Poseidonis.
3. Nothing is etched in stone until it appears in content. Even stuff posted at ASK GREG is just my best guess, until or unless it appears in an episode or issue, or something canon.
4. Last we saw, Orm had the Trident until Shiva did what she did.
5. Ever? Given enough episodes or issues, certainly.
6. I try not to think about it. ;)
Like many people, I watched Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse recently and found it delightful (don't worry though, SpecSpidey will always be my favourite rendition of the character).
Into the Spiderverse was very clearly a Sony production and not a Disney one, which I take to mean that while Sony gave Disney back the rights to making animated Spider-Man shows, that clearly does not apply to animated Spider-Man films, at least not at the moment.
1) Does that mean that the SpecSpidey art/story assets would be usable by Sony in a film?
2) Could this realistically mean that if a future "Into The Spiderverse" sequel or spin were made and more "Spider-verses" were introduced (which seems like an obvious next step for them), that we could see SpecSpidey as one of those spider-verses?
Given that they brought spider-man noir into 3D space and somehow made that work, I don't imagine they'd struggle with SpecSpidey's art style, if it came to that.
After all, they were willing to bring in the 1967 cartoon as one of their alternate universes, though hopefully in the case of SpecSpidey they'd take it a bit more seriously, perhaps by bringing in Josh Keaton and a writer or two from the original show...?
1. I don't know, but I doubt it's that simple.
2. I don't know, but I tend to think it unlikely.
One can dream...
I was browsing the old Ask Greg and come across a post I had a question about. You said that the most trusted people in The Reach were the original Reach species. I was wondering where do the beetles fit into this? Like for Example, if Jaime was never taken off mod, would he be really trusted? Eventually?
Not as much as a member of the Reach species ever. And if he was off-mode, never.
Why is it that Zatara seems to have aged so much while other leaguers like Black Canary and Green Arrow seemed to have aged so little? Is his time as Fate prematurely aging him, or was Giovanni just at an age where the aging process accelerates?
Does Savage in his own mind see the Light's mission as saving the Earth from Darkseid? Is that what his millenia of scheming amounts to? Preparing the world to confront an enemy that humanity is nowhere near ready to fight?
In part, without a doubt. But he also wants humanity to rule the galaxy in the end.
I'm curious in Players, Chapter Two: Directly to Jail page 4 was megan pulling back from a hug with garfield
I'm assuming you mean page 3, panel 4, right? She's either about to hug him or has just finished hugging him.
what real world Europe nation is the CONTAPART to queen Perdita's country of vlatava ?
There's no specific one, but it's in Eastern Europe, next door to Markovia.
Ok,this is something that I never understood.
Does Conner have Psychic powers like M'gann or Psimon? Because Dubbilex said that in episode 22 of S1. Maybe I Haven't paid enough attention and the answer is right in front of me.
Conner does not have psychic powers, and Dubbilex definitely never said he did. I recommend you rewatch the episode.
What city or state was rita farr's home in when Garfield live with her after queen kill marie logan ?
I haven't needed to research that yet. Where were the Doom Patrol traditionally based?
Why couldn't Nabu just let Zatara reunite with Zatanna every one or at least three months instead of once every year?
He could, I suppose. He chooses not to.
Dear Mr, Weisman,
I love your work on young justice, spectacular spider man and gargoyles. I was wondering, in the young justice universe has Connor ever met Lois and if so, what is their relationship like? Also how does he feel about baby Jon?
1. They have met, of course. She's his sister-in-law, and they get along great.
2. Conner loves Jonny. He loves being an uncle.
Hey Grey, a little late I know but I want to say congrats on Season Three! The first three episodes I thought were fantastic and I can't wait until June! My friends are all pretty annoyed on how much I go on and on about your show (they're more Marvel kids. I've always been a DC baby myself, despite how I love the MCU)
My question today is on Black Beetle. You said before Scout Beetles were different, as well as Jaime not being as strong as Black Beetle.
Are Warrior Beetles just better than their scout counter parts or is Black Beetles prowess the result of training?
Dear Mr, Weismann,
I love your work on young justice, spectacular spider man and gargoyles. I was wondering, in the young justice universe has Connor ever met Lois and if so, what is their relationship like? Also how does he feel about baby Jon?
1. They have met, of course. She's his sister-in-law, and they get along great.
2. Conner loves Jonny. He loves being an uncle.