A Station Eight Fan Web Site
A friend of mine admires and identifies with Brooklyn very deeply. So deeply, in fact, that he sometimes wishes he WERE Brooklyn. He's having a rough time right now, and "just be yourself" isn't helping. I was wondering, could the man that understands Brooklyn better than anyone - his creator - give my friend a little encouragement or wisdom? It would mean a lot.
I'd be happy to, but I'm at a bit of a loss for at least a couple reasons:
1. I have no idea what is troubling your friend or what aspect(s) of Brooklyn he identifies with.
2. I'm not qualified to give advice, and have very little in the way of wisdom, beyond, perhaps, a willingness to admit to my own ignorance.
But encouragement I can do. It may be a bit generic, but I wish your friend the best and suggest he keep trying and seek out help (and even therapy).
Brooklyn is a good guy, who has his troubles. But after 40 years of wandering through the timestream, he did ultimately come back to his clan with a new wisdom of his own and a loving family. So there is hope.
I just realized that the second question I asked two days ago (about how Tom got from Avelon to Manhatten) is REALLY stupid...for some reason I was misremembering the entire situation and was thinking Tom went to Manhatten AFTER Goliath and co. got back from their trip (which makes absolutly no sense now that I remember correctly)...OOPS! Sorry. I'm verry much expecting a "Hey stupid, what the heck are you talking about?!" response to that question.
Anyway, since I don't want to clog the que with just an apology for screwing up a previous one, I'll ask a couple of actual questions too, this time regarding Brooklyn and Katana.
1. You once described their relationship as: "there's conflict." Can you elaborate (in a general sense, not specific situations...ie. they bicker a lot, they disagree on many things, ect.)?
2. I know that the real-world reason for Katana's name is the sward, but in-universe, did her clan use names? (Also, I know it's a "spoiler request," but if you feel like saying who gave her the name if it wasn't her clan, that would be awesome -- same for Foo Dog).
3. Were the parallels between the casts of the World Tour and Timedancer (ie. the lead Gargoyle: Goliath/Brooklyn; his mate: Elisa/Katana; the child: Angela/Nashville; and the beast: Bronx/Foo Dog) a deliberate decision or just a coincidence?
4. Has/will Foo Dog ever had/get a mate?
1. Watch Sam and Diane on Cheers or Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing.
2. We've established that the Ishimura Clan uses names. Whether they did back then is a SPOILER REQUEST.
3. More organic than anything. Keep in mind, it's just Brooklyn. Then it's Brooklyn, Finella and Mary. Later it's Brooklyn and Fu-Dog. Later still it's Brooklyn, Fu-Dog and Katana. Later still, it's Brooklyn, Fu-Dog, Katana and an egg. Then Brooklyn, Fu-Dog, Katana and Nashville. Then Brooklyn, Fu-Dog, Katana, Nashville and Egwardo. And that's assuming no one else temporarily joins them for some of the Dancing, a fact I'll neither confirm or deny.
4. SPOILER REQUEST.
my question must have gotten deleted last time i asked this, because i cant find it anywhere. it was part of a post with a bunch of questions, but this one is the only one i really want to know about, so i hope this one wasnt the one that made it not go through
after his journey through time, does Brooklyn still consider himself a rookery brother to Lexington and Broadway?
also, since he is a generation older than Goliath, does he still consider himself his rookery son?
would he now technically be a rookery uncle to any or all three of them, and Angela?
if so, how does he view his relationship to Hudson, since they cant technically be rookery brothers? (like cousins mabey?)
2. He never did, so no.
4. He still sees Hudson as a mentor/father/grandfatherly figure.
it's known, that to control the phoenix gate, one has to think of a special place and time.
Now, that the gate was released by Goliath, one question popped into my head.
Brooklyn couldn't control the gate during his Time Dancer adventures.
But could it be that his subconscious mind influenced the gate's direction"?
Could the gate (or rather the phoenix) have probably sensed his feelings like fears, inner conflicts or wishes?
Or did the phoenix just follow its own reasons without noticing such things?
By the way … I liked the character of Brooklyn before, but it's due to the Comics (especially Clan building Vol. 2) that he became one of my ultimate favourites. ;)
Mostly, the Phoenix is the Phoenix. Beyond that, we're talking SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
Hey Greg, I'm a big fan of Gargoyles and I actually have a question for it concerning Brooklyn. How much has his personality changed after he got back from his Timedancing adventure? I didn't see this question posted at the archives but if you did post it then I apologize.
He's evolved - and aged - more than he's changed.
It's been quite a while since I've written, so here we go.
This may be moot (but hopefully not), but you mentioned you the spinoff comics mini-series you planned to do were Bad Guys then Pendragon then TimeDancer. I had some questions about the potential format for TimeDancer. These are mostly questions about the format of the book (not looking for big plot spoilers):
1) Would TimeDancer have been six issues or more or less?
2) Would the TimeDancer mini-series have picked up were we left Brooklyn in 997 Scotland in #12?
3) Would the TimeDancer mini-series have focused on one or two larger events (meeting Katana or Gnash's birth, etc) or would it have been several smaller events?
4) Again, possibly moot (but hopefully not), after Pendragon and TimeDancer, what would have been next (2198, Dark Ages or New Olympians?)
5) Is there any remote or slight update from Disney or SLG about the potential of more Gargoyles comics?
1 - 4. lt's all hypothetical now, since we no longer have the license. If and when I get another opportunity, every parameter could be different.
5. I'm afraid not.
Recently I noticed that Brooklyn wears an eyepatch over his left eye when he's dressed up as a pirate in "Eye of the Beholder" - and wears one over his left eye for real when he returns from his Timedancing in "Clan-Building". When you worked with the artists on Brooklyn's post-Timedancer look, did you have the Halloween costume in mind? Or is it just a neat coincidence?
Yes. And that's not all.
In as far as Brooklyn traveled into the future, did disco ever come back?
Yes. And went away again.
Which episode is timedancer?
I don't understand the question. Check the FAQ. That might help clarify things for you, and if you're still unclear than you can repost the question offering more clarity for me.
Hey Greg, first time asking a question. I'm a big fan of the Timedancer series so I've got a question about Katana, Nashville, and Tachi. What are their personalities like? I don't need the general details so a vague anwser or something like that is fine. Thank you.
I'm not going to reveal this in this forum at this time.