A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Would you come back for a Season 4?
(But pretty much the answer is always yes.)
I'm a longtime fan of everything W.I.T.C.H., so I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions about the animated series all these years later. It helps keep the series and its magic alive even after it (unfortunately) ended.
My question is in regards to the Matt-Shagon twist (which is still to this day one of my favorite adaptational changes and TV plots overall). I really enjoyed how Matt developed as a character in the second season, and, of course, this storyline played a huge role in his characterization.
I realize that it's been years and the exact reason might not be clear anymore, but I figured I'd ask: what made you decide to pursue this storyline with Matt? So many interesting developments came out of this twist, and by the end of the season I felt there were even more potentials that could be explored, had the series continued. I've just always been curious about how this idea came up.
Thanks so much!
It's all very vague now, but as I recall, there seemed to be some mystery over who Shagon really was in the comics, mystery that never was revealed nor paid off. So I slotted Matt into that role, to make the mystery pay off and to give Will the maximum amount of turbulence.
I'm a big fan of your works and I greatly admire your determination to always keep going. Congrats on Young Justice Season 3, by the way: power from the fans to you!
What I'm writing about is W.I.T.C.H. I have recently binged the two seasons and I've fallen. In. Love with the show! Also read your thing about Irma being gay. Not sure I agree, but hey, today anything is possible. Nerissa and Cassidy being together? Maybe ;-).
I was SO bummed that it never got a 3rd season for the other arcs (I bet it could have gone at least 4 or 5 seasons), but is it possible it could make a comeback- if not this year, than maybe next?
One main reason it was cancelled (other than some silly ratings) was because Winx Club had shown up. Now that it's ended, W.I.T.C.H. could make a comeback and gain more popularity like it did in season 1 (I read a lot of people liked both series, so they'd be happy). Also, the 10th anniversary of the comic was last year and they've started reprints of the Disney comics in the native Italy. That could help gain attention again if they start reprinting in America. Plus, I doubt Disney XD wouldn't say no to a show like that on their action and comedy airspace, especially with your work on Rebels. They could re-air the first two seasons and then unveil Season 3. I bet even the original actors would go for it (work, pay, and fun all at the same time).
So what do you think? Is it possible?
P.S. Good luck with your other projects.
Ratings aren't silly. They're what pays the bills. And Winx had little to do with it. There could be a hundred Winx variations on the air, but if WITCH had strong ratings it wouldn't have mattered.
Anything is possible, but it doesn't seem likely - unless the fans PROVE that there's a market for it, as they did with Young Justice. Not sure how to do that with WITCH, however. Fans had an outlet to show their support financially on YJ. Not sure what that outlet would be on W.I.T.C.H.
But I'd love to do more, if given the opportunity.
Thanks for taking the time to answer so many fan questions. I was a big W.I.T.C.H. fan when it was on the air and one thing that always confused me in season 2 was when Nerissa said that Caleb was created by her "entirely for that purpose" (of leading the rebellion.) Did she actually have some role in him becoming the leader of the rebellion and can she have possibly have known it before he was even born? Or was she just saying that to get in his head at that moment?
All of the above.
So I'm back, I won't judge you if you don't remember the questions I asked before but, as I'm following your guidelines, those were for one topic and now I'm in need for answers about W.I.T.C.H., which by far was on my top 5 favorite tv shows as a kid.
1). Was it always Cornelia and Caleb that would be together or did you try a different W.I.T.C.H. girl with him? If so, who?
2). In season 1, Will didn't really have an elemental power, but later on, she discovered it, fro, the beginning did you guys know that that would be her elemental power?
3). Around the time W.I.T.C.H. aired, Winx Club was also going on, did the writers of W.I.T.C.H. ever get accused of taking ideas from the show, or did you ever see anything that was strangely similar to yours? If so, did you actively try to make sure the plot didn't really correlate with Winx Club's?
4). Was there ever going to be a season three of W.I.T.C.H.? Or was it untimely cancelled?
5). Whose your favorite character on the show and why?
Thanks so much!!
1. Did you see the episodes? If so, you saw what we did.
2. I didn't work on Season One. But when I came aboard to produce Season Two, I felt it odd that she had no power. Traditionally, the fifth element is Quintessence. So I gave her that, and it made some sense to express that as Lightning. So we knew from the beginning of Season Two that that was the plan. But I don't see how they could have had that in mind during Season One. But you'd have to ask the showrunner for that season to be sure.
3. I never watched WINX. To my knowledge, no one ever accused us of stealing from WINX - unless you're doing that now. And, no, we didn't work to be different. We just did our own thing.
4. Um... we hoped for one. But the series wasn't picked up for a third season.
5. I don't have a single favorite. I love 'em all.
Hello Greg! Long time fan, first time asking a question. My ask is about W.I.T.C.H. I know it's been a long time, and you've said there's things you can't remember and I completely understand that - but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I was always so invested in Cornelia and Caleb's relationship and thought it was so wonderfully well written and engaging. My questions are these:
1. Can you recall if you had a plan for them going forward into season three?
2. If so, what kind of things were going to happen to them?
1. I recall that we had a plan.
2. No spoilers.
Hi Greg. I want your opinion on a few things. Do you believe in a W.I.T.C.H. comeback in the future, maybe as live action TV series, a movie, or why not a season 3? And do you think a better option will be starting over from 0, and not go for a season 3? Maybe with a new original adaptation of the comic for this comeback? Btw I'm a big a fun of your work, and I follow all your tweets on Twitter.
I really don't know.
Obviously - selfishly - my preference would be for them to re-air or make available the first two seasons and then have me work on a season three. A reboot wouldn't interest me at all.
Hi there! I'm a huge fan of the W.I.T.C.H tv series, I grew up on it and it actually inspired me to study animation (first year student)! I recently discovered your speculation about Nerissa and Cassidy being lovers and as a bisexual woman this fills my heart with so much joy (even if it did end in, well, death). I have a few questions about C.H.Y.K.N. if that's okay!
1. Do you believe that Kadma and Halinor had a romantic relationship, either as guardians or later on in life?
2. Was their a reason for Kadma and Halinor's stories being drastically changed in the show? I recall them running and orphanage together in the comics, I'm curious if there was a reason why at least one of them wasn't still on Earth (and why Halinor was written as a loyal follower of the Oracle, and not a defector).
3. What time period exactly were C.H.Y.K.N. at large in? I've calculated the late fifties to mid sixties, but it really depends when the show is set.
4. Was there ever going to be a C.H.Y.KN. arc showing more flashbacks of their time as guardians, if more seasons were produced?
Thank you so much for your time, W.I.T.C.H. is one of my biggest inspirations as an aspiring animator and I especially really enjoyed the second season's plot with the past guardians! I hope you're doing well!
1. I'm not saying no, but I don't recall ever thinking that.
2. We adapted the comics we had at hand at the time. But we needed to make some changes, both to fit the first season of the television show and to create certain dynamics for our second season. That meant putting all five members of CHYKN in diverse locations, doing different thing so that none of their corruptions would feel repetitive.
3. I don't remember the math.
4. Given enough episodes, I would have loved to do that. I didn't have any specific plans. But I loved the characters.
I've recently been obsessed with W.I.T.C.H recently and have been rewatching all the episodes. I absolutely love the show from the plot, writing, voice acting, animation and sound. And over all it's so fun to wacth
1)How do you think Nerissa and Cassidy fell in love and got together?
2)Do you have a favourite pairing within W.I.T.C.H. I personally quite like the idea of Will and Hay Lin.
1. It's been sooooo long that if I had a specific notion, I don't remember. Otherwise, they were teammates and spent a lot of time together, so one thing led to another.
2. Well, I think both Will and Hay Lin are straight. But this sounds like shipping, and it's not my job to rain on your parade. So have fun with it.
ALL of your past and present projects have been renewed, and you have been asked to help them all. Which one would you prioritize, and why?
Well, as many regular readers of this site know, I'm not big on hypotheticals. Reality is so much more complicated, but I'll give it a shot:
GARGOYLES first, always. We're trying to get another comic book version now. Tweet the hashtag #WeLiveAgain!
YOUNG JUSTICE, second. Season Three is real. It's here. I'm working on it.
I'm also working on the second book in the WORLD OF WARCRAFT: TRAVELER series, THE SPIRAL PATH, and recently completed co-plotting work on THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM, w/my old Captain Atom partner Cary Bates.
The third book in the RAIN OF THE GHOSTS series, MASQUE OF BONES, which I still plan to get back to as soon as I possibly can.
Everything else falls into the category of it's just too hypothetical to differentiate. But I'm very fond of THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, W.I.T.C.H., ROUGHNECKS: THE STARSHIP TROOPER CHRONICLES, STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK, anything with the STAR WARS REBELS characters [especially STAR WARS KANAN], 3X3 EYES, DISNEY'S VILLAINS and many others.
And I'm sure Edmund Tsabard would love to finish Last Tengu in Paris.