A Station Eight Fan Web Site
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling some vitriol coming your way for the differences between the Young Justice comic book and coming cartoon. As a huge fan of YJ I was hoping for a Spec Spidey type treatment of the original source material and I bet others were too. That said, I just keep repeating to myself that that is not to be so I should just look forward to a different great cartoon.
I did have the thought of, 'then why not use a different name?' If I can come up with a couple more ridiculously bad ones to balance the numerous "Blah" ones I may post some names that came to mind...
It IS a very Spec Spidey treatment of the source material. It's just that our definition of the source material is BIGGER and more EXPANSIVE than yours seem to be. Just as on Spec Spidey, we developed YJ to combine characters from different eras to create a cohesive, coherent yet contemporary whole, without losing what's classic and iconic about these teen characters. That meant borrowing from classic Teen Titans as well as Young Justice and other arenas as well. Just as we borrowed from Spidey's high school years, his college years and more recent arenas as well. On Spec Spidey, we said it was early days in the Marvel Universe (recast as 2008). On YJ, it's early days in the DC Universe (recast as 2010).
It's the exact same thing -- from my point of view at least. It's adaptation with a starting point. Where it goes from that starting point...? Time will tell.
I have a question about Avalon. In the past you have stated several times that it is always summer on Avalon, "unless Oberon decrees otherwise," and that Avalon is "a summer place -- by decree."
So I'm curious: what was the climate and weather like on Avalon during Mab's reign?
Thank you, as always, for answering so many questions.
Hey again Greg,
This question kinda came to me out of nowhere earlier and I tried searching the archives to see if it had already been touched on. To my suprise it doesn't seem to have come up so I'll ask it here. Did Elisa ever have a partner before Matt and if so, whatever happened to him/her?
I'm sure she had at least a couple of partners over the years. But she was definitely a solo act when we first met her.
Elisa's backstory is definitely worth exploring, but I'm not going to do it here at Ask Greg.
A couple of questions regarding the Archmage:
1. The Archmage is very much a walking evil sorcerer cliche, and I always got the impression that was entirely deliberate on your part- but is it on his? In other words, do you see him as the kind of guy who hams it up because it's fun (like Sevarius and even Thailog to an extent) or is all of that genuinely his personality?
2. Magic-users on the whole are generally portrayed in fiction as being intelligent, especially powerful ones, but the Archmage makes some sloppy oversights. Would you say he's a smart guy too drunk on his own power to think clearly, that he's rather dim but with a natural knack for dark magic, or somewhere in between?
3. Demona was the Archmage's apprentice- do you think witnessing his cruelty had any role in what initially soured her opinion of humanity, laying the foundation for what would later grow into her genocidal fury? Or was it unrelated?
4. Finally, how would the Archmage+ compare in terms of raw magical power to one of the lords of the Third Race, such as Oberon or Odin? Mostly, I'm just curious as to what would have happened had he successfully conquered Avalon, only to run afoul of Oberon when he returned.
1. I mostly believe that's him. It may have been less of a clichÃ© a thousand years ago.
2. In the immortal words of Abe Simpson: "A little from Column A, a little from Column B.'
3. Couldn't help.
4. It would have been interesting. But see my Hulk vs. Thing discussion in the archives.
i'm so excited for young justice but i have to ask
1. is artemis olivia queen?
2. there were some characters that were only in the comic(secret, empress, slobo) will they appear in the cartoon?
You HAVE to ask? Because if you don't, you'll... what? Spontaneously combust? Sing a torch song? Juggle priceless Ming vases?
Well, I won't question it. Let's just say you HAVE to ask and leave it at that.
(Of course, I don't have to answer.)
[I think I am getting meaner and more sarcastic. I'm sure I'm alienating more people than I'm amusing.]
As humans, we can express ourselves culturally, emotionally and even spiritually through the arts (music, dance, drama, literature, etc). Do gargoyles practice the arts? Do gargoyles even have the capacity to create art? I have always wanted to know since having seen the episode "Kingdom" in which Broadway, Lexington, and Brooklyn return home to the Clock Tower after having attended a rock concert in which Brooklyn proclaims "did you hear that guitarist wail?"
They have the capacity. And I'm sure some are artists.
You've said in the past that "Awakening" was originally written and recorded as a four-parter. Out of curiosity, in the four-part version, where would the cliffhanger between parts three and four have been?
You know, it's been so long, I'd have to look at the actual scripts to figure that out. And I only have copies of those at my Beverly Hills Office. Since I'm mostly at Warner Bros these days, I only get to B.H. about once a month.
thanks for coming out to comic con this year. always nice to see you.
just wondering if you ever caught pirates of dark water, and what you thought of it. i hear that WB's releasing the series DVD "made-on-demand". we need to get Disney to do that with Gargoyles. there probably wouldn't be any bells or whistles added to the release, but i'll take it any way i can!
I never saw Pirates of Dark Water.
And I'm game for getting Gargoyles out any way we can.
i grew up with gargoyles, infact, it helped me grow... when i was 9 i was shy and by coping brooklyns personality i grow in to a crazy person and i wanted to thank you... because with out gargoyles i would have never learned to draw and be an arist and now i am the top artist at my school.
and now my questiom: as you my know (and im sure this has been asked) lots of old shows have been remade in to these big epic moves (transformers for example) and i was wondering if there was anychance for a live action gargoyles movie? i know hundreds of people who would be so happy! so is there any chance??
It's a confusing question right now, Amanda. Please check the ASK GREG Archives under "Live-Action Movie" to learn more.
Really looking forward to Young Justice, everything I've seen and heard so far sounds great.
My question is:
Was there a particular reason for making Robin so much younger than the rest of the Young Justice team?
Very exited about the show and can't wait 'til November.
I think this is a great (and legit) question... which I urge you to ask again sometime AFTER the series has premiered. There's nothing I can say now that wouldn't in some way be a spoiler.