A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Displaying 1 record.
In late January of 1992 we were still searching for our series. Ultimately, we'd return to a more dramatic version of our old comedy development. But here was an earlier version where our proto-Goliath is still an immortal magical construct.
(Weisman / 1-24-92)
DISTRIBUTION: Cranston, Fair, Felix, Guler, Kline, Krisel, Ryan, Schaefer, Stones
(Third Pass - Version 1/Backstory...?)
[Please note that the dialogue is just here to show the flow of the pitch. It's not intended to be even a first pass at the correct words.]
1. Typical stone gargoyles. (Perhaps stone versions of our squire characters.)
"We all think we know what GARGOYLES are. Ugly, stone statues squatting on the rooves of old buildings..."
2. OPTIONAL - "Medieval Woodcut" showing gargoyles repelling barbaric invaders from the castle walls.
"But there was a time when gargoyles were real, living creatures. The kings defenders...[or something]..."
3. Modern day, beauty shot of our Gargoyle on top of a skyscraper with the full moon behind him.
"That time has come again."
4. Castle being lowered onto skyscraper by giant airships. Laputaesque. It's sunset.
"Manhattan, 1994. And an ancient scottish castle is the newest addition to the New York skyline."
5. Our FEMALE POLICE DETECTIVE hot on the trail of a major badguy.
"But JANE DOE, New York Police Detective, doesn't have time to worry about that now. She's hot on the trail of a major badguy."
6. She follows him onto a rooftop. But it's an ambush by multiple baddies. (By now it's nighttime.)
7. She's doing o.k. in the fight. Holding her own. But someone's about to nail her from behind. And from another rooftop, someTHING is watching in the shadows.
8. Reveal THE GARGOYLE, as he dives into fray from above.
9. Gargoyle lifts a badguy with either hand. While a third shoots at him, the bullets glancing off his stone-like hide. (Basic demonstration of his strength and invulnerability.)
10. OPTIONAL - Then he's gone, as quickly as he came. Leaving her to wonder.
11. OPTIONAL - But she's a born detective, innately curious. Tracks him down. They meet. Quiet moment. He'll tell her his story.
12. 1000 years ago, EVIL WIZARD creates our very menacing GARGOYLE. (Does Gargoyle have a name?) Wizard is perverting a gargoyle's true protective function, wants Gargoyle to destroy the near-by castle of the good princess.
13. PRINCESS (does she look like our detective?) convinces Gargoyle to fight for good and not evil. Touches his heart.
14. Gargoyle prepared to fight for Princess...just as the sun begins to rise. (Castle folk open gates to let Gargoyle out?)
15. Gargoyle turns to stone at rise of sun. (As the wizard's army attacks thru open gates?)
16. Sunset. The castle has been sacked. The princess is gone. Our Gargoyle is heartbroken. (More TRAGIC than pathetic.) He's failed.
17. The years pass. He haunts the ruined castle. Howling in front of the full moon?? Years spent in solitude.
18. Occasional forays into humanity? (Stealing books from library?) (World War II? Ripping the wings off a German plane?)
19. Back in present, he tells Detective how all he has left is isolation and futility. Nothing for him in this world. Nothing for 1000 years.
20. But now there's her. She offers him hope, a sense of purpose. And real human friendship. If he sees humanity as an unchanging blight on the planet, she sees humanity as an unending source of potential. She is not naive. She's a cop. She's seen good men corrupted as often as she's seen Bad men redeemed. Working to make things better is the only way they'll get better.
21. From atop the skyscraper, she shows him Manhattan. (Beauty shot of the city in the moonlight.) If Gargoyles are supposed to protect from Barbarians at the gate, then he's found the right town. Manhattan is full of "Barbarians".
22. Gargoyle fighting crime. A mugging? A car full of bank robbers?
23. Escalate. Major villain card. XAVIER perhaps.
24. Escalate. Major villain. One of the Crazies.
25. Escalate. Even tougher villain card. One of the Big Guys. (Gargoyle and Big guy fighting?)
26. Escalate. The toughest villain card. The Wizard in his new incarnation. (Any relation between Xavier and the wizard?)
27. Discussion of mood and tone. Gargoyle in city atmosphere. Emphasize gothic melodrama in very modern setting.
28. Supporting characters. (Other gargoyles, perhaps, or our lead girl's kid? Other cops? The old librarian?)
29. Where does he live? Still in Xavier's tower? With Xavier? The library maybe?
30. Other types of stories?
31. End Card.
Some possible names for our Gargoyle: