A Station Eight Fan Web Site
looking over the 2198 contest, I saw this frase wich caught my attention: "Fu-Dog is a gargoyle beast bred by the Xanadu Clan in China", it only caught my attention because I've seen in the comment room that there's a gargoyle clan that breeds garg beast, so my questions are:
1) Does the Xanadu Clan breed gargoyle beasts?
2) If they do, is there a specific reason for it, what I mean is do they have a specific job for those gargoyle beasts?
3) or is it that they have by chance a large number of gargoyle beasts?
Thank you for hearing me out
2. They are protecting that species from extinction. And training them as companions and guardians.
3. Not by chance.
Hi Greg, I just read that Zaphiro from 2198 is the same age as Samson and Delilah, do you mean cronologic or biologic the same age, I'm just asking because you said before that because of the pendant that zaphiro, obsidiniana, turquessa and jade wear, they age faster than other gargoyles? thanks for answering
I don't believe I did say that. I believe I said that the pendant compensates, didn't I?
Can you quote me?
At any rate, Zafiro has not been wearing the pendant long. So he's the same biological and chronological age as Samson and Delilah.
If all things are true in the Garg universe, is their a such thing as a untrue romour? How could there be if everything is true? So theoretically, someone could just make something up and it would immediatly be true. Right?
There's a rumor going around that some questions posted here may be pendantic.
All things are true.
To my question about future occurences of Jeffrey Robbins you said:
>Yep. (And you worry too much. I'm not paying that close >attention.)
1. I'm glad Jeffrey wasn't a one-time character to you. Even as a teenager I wanted to see characters with disabilities in animation, to reflect the wide variety of people in society as a whole. My sister and I co-developed a series years ago where a visually impaired character was prominent (maybe someday we'll get to do somethin with it). Fifteen years after I first got seriously interested in animation, I've seen a wide growth in character ethnicity but still not much in this area. It's one reason I loved working on EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS and having Garrett (voiced by Jason Marsden, also Pvt. Brutto from ROUGHNECKS) as our wheelchair bound hero who was such a good character you practically forgot about the wheelchair. Jeffrey's the same kind of character. While portrayed as the character is, ultimately you see the person.
To make this into a question, especially now that I realize that the elder Brutto in ROUGHNECKS ends up in a similar situation (not sure whose choice that was though): without forcing it into the story, would you be open to incorporating more characters with disabilities in animated series?
2. Me worry too much? I think there's a space in line for you behind my father and Kevin on that one. If Mom or my sister think it they're not saying. (In other words I get told that a lot.) Won't deny it. But you do I have to remember I didn't know you that well back then... much changes in a year.
1. Absolutely. Robbins, of course, was never a one-shot character. For starters,even with TGC, he appeared twice. And I hate to take credit where credit's not due, but I actually do believe that bringing Sgt. Brutto back in a wheelchair WAS my idea. Certainly, I was the first to write him back that way in "Funeral for a Friend". Claw was mute. Renard was confined to a wheelchair. I'm not tooting my own horn here, I just think that maybe you're overlooking characters because they fit so naturally into the series that you forgot they were disabled. I also would love to do a hearing impaired animated character with Marlee Matlin doing the voice. She used to come into Rockets and I once had such a big crush on her that I swore that if she came in one more time, I'd ask her to marry me. (She must have sensed that cause she never came back.)
2. Uh.... (The big problem here is that you attribute better memory function to me than I actually have. What were we talking about?)
I'm curious about you and the big screen. Was you really used to five movies a week?
1-Why did you stopped?
2-Do you have plans to see any specific movie? 'The Lord of the Rings', maybe?
3-I know that you're working at Disney, so you don't need answer this if you don't want: Did you saw 'Shrek'?
Good luck with Team Atlantis!
1. Well, to some extent my life changed. When Cary Bates and I were seeing that many movies a week, we both lived in New York and kinda had no other life except that and work.
Then I moved back to Los Angeles. I had friends and we liked to see movies, but we weren't obsessed about it like Cary and I had been. Plus I was going to school AND writing for DC Comics AND working at Johnny Rockets, so I had less time in general and less disposable income as well. (Well, that's debatable, but it seemed that way.)
Then I went to work for Disney working very long hours. I met my future wife. We still went to movies but we did lots of other things as well.
But the big change was having kids. Duh.
And once we got out of the habit of seeing everything or even nearly everything, I found I didn't like movies as much.
2. I've given up on planning to see movies. We get out so infrequently, that movies I had been dying to see are often gone by the time the opportunity arises.
3. As of yesterday, I'm no longer even freelancing for Disney, but either way I would have answered your question. Yes. Saw Shrek with the kids. Enjoyed it. I don't think it's a great movie, but I did think it was an enjoyable one.
And Team Atlantis (the series) is dead. BUT, if I haven't mentioned this before, they will be releasing a direct to video sequel. This is really three episodes of what WOULD have been the series strung together with a brief but (I think) impressive framing plot. So you will get the opportunity to get a taste of what the series might have been like. And if you come to the next GATHERING, you'll get a bigger opportunity.
Was the archemage influenced by someone, apart from his future self, to take the three talismans and his plans to take over avalon and the world? sorry if this is a weird question, but I was wondering about that for a long time
He had wanted the three items of power for some time because he had read about their joint use before.
The Avalon take-over seemed the idea of his future self. But of course that future self only learned it from his future self. So one might ask, who came up with the actual idea. Was it born of the time stream, whole?
1. as gargoyles in Japan have been living with humans for centuries, have they been using names throughout most their history, or all of it?
2. was there ever a time that the Ishimuran clan didn't use names? if so, when?
3. did Katana have her name when Brooklyn first meets her?
1. "Most of their history" would be a hell of a long time. But some of it.
2. Yes. Long ago.
3. Not saying.
As I'm now looking through the notes I took during the "Research for Writers" panel at the con, I remember Reaves and the others mentioning a large board where you guys would pin up index cards with different story ideas, and then ask who wanted to write the episode for each card. They mentioned that you had cards for another Central/South America story, another Africa story, and one about the Wendigo monster.
1) Would you kindly divulge anything about these poor stories that never got made into episodes?
2) Do you still have these idea cards?
2. I have all the idea cards. But some of them were nothing more than that. A notion. A thought. A word. So...
1. There aren't any STORIES extant with the exception of the Himalayas story, as I wrote that for the Marvel Gargoyles Comic Book, which got cancelled before the story could be published. The others are in varying degrees of existence in my head depending on how much brain time I've devoted to them. There's a bit more on the Korea story, as I've given thought to the Pukhan clan. But not much. Etc.
I've been hearing a lot of someone called Nimue, who is she? sorry if this question been asked, but I haven't seen it in the archives
Then you haven't looked in the Pendragon section.
Or read much of anything on the legends of King Arthur.
Nimue comes directly from that mythology.
I've got a few questions about the wings of a garg:
1) Are there bones inside the wings? Or instead of bones cartilage? Or anything else?
2a) If the answer to 1) is the former, does it mean then that the wings are something like a second pair of arms?
b) But that doesn't seem to be right, because nothing on the wings looks unflexible, in especially when they are "not in use" and laid round the body, or have I just not looked carefully enough to notice anything else?
3) Their wings don't seem to be very thin and light, but more thick and heavy. Is this to prevent major damages like a big hole? Has it any other advantages?
(BTW: How's my English? Because I'm not sure that everything is understandable)
1. I assume there are bones. But I'm no biologist.
2a. Yes. Most gargoyles have seven limbs (including the tail).
2b. I'm not sure what you mean here.
3. I'm not sure I can confirm your premise here.
But your English seems pretty good to me, generally.
I think you said that the loch ness clan live in caves and Grottos. If you didn't, then sorry. If you did, how do the gargs get their solor energy? The same for Demona's clan in 1020 who spent a lot of time in caves.
Heat absorbtion. (Like I know.)
1. how long in advance did Nokkar know about the Space-Spawn invasion or was he completly surprised also?
2. was Nokkar still on Easter Island when the Space-Spawn attacked? if not, where was he?
3. between 1996 and 2198 has Nokkar had any communication or messages from his people or anyone on his side in the Galactic War?
4. was Nokkar still hiding from the bulk of humanity up til 2198 or was he known to exist by many humans? did the United Nations know of him? did Alexander Xanatos?
5. after 2198 will he be known to humnas or will he be fighting in the resistance while still hiding from the humans he is protecting?
4. He was still largely hiding.
5. He's not holding a press conference, because he's wanted by the Space-Spawn who are controlling things. But more and more people will come to know him... until he takes off into space with Demona, Zafiro etc.
Why do Cu Culen's eyes look so wierd?
I don't remember them looking weird.
when Rory's father tells him, "The blood of heroes flows through your veins!" :
1. how does his father know that? does he know for certain?
2. is Rory a descendant of Cuchallin himself or just other (and probably more recent) heroes?
3. is he descendended from these heroes on his mother or fathers side?
1. It's Dugan family legend.
2. Good question.
3. Father's for sure. Maybe mother's too.
A few questions about "The Hound of Ulster"
1) What is Rory Dugan's father's name?
2) Where is Rory's mother? Did she live with them and we just didn't see her in that ep, or is she separated from Rory's father, or maybe dead?
1. Mr. Dugan.
2. Intentionally, not answering at this time.
Do you believe in Psychic Powers? I do! I believe when one becomes a powerful psychic he/her is known as a Psi-Lord. The definition of a Psi-Lord is: One who is all powerful, God-Like! What's your take on psychic powers?
All things are true.
But let me clarify -- you believe that when one becomes a powerful psychic he or she becomes known as a Psi-Lord?
What if he or she wants to be called a psi-Lady or a psi-warrior? Is there any choice? Who enforces these rules?
1) Was their a reason in your mind why Goliath and his friends are destened to descover all (or a lot) of the earth's secrets? Such as the fae, loch monsters, golems and magic of all sorts, which most people will discount as ficton or rumours?
2)could you tell, or give some sort of hint of what the reason is and who is behind it(if anyone is)?
1. I never said THEY were going to discover this stuff, I said WE were.
2. I like to be inclusive.
i sent you this quote from St. Thomas Aquinas cuz of its implications in the gargoyle universe:
"Angels transcend every religion, every philosophy, every creed.
In fact angels have no religion as we know it...
their existence precedes every religious system that has ever existed on earth."
-St. Thomas Aquinas
and you asked if i had the dates of the quote, and as hard as i searched i couldn't find any, but i did some very interesting reading on him. Thomas Aquinas was an Italian philosopher and theologian who worked at various colleges in the Mediterranean world. he was probably born in 1225, and died in 1274, so most likely the quote was said between those two dates, LOL. hope thats helpful...
It's cool anyway. I love this kind of stuff.
Could you give us a littler personal information about Maria Chavez? In "Future Tense" there is a woman with Chavez's picture who is generally presumed to be her daughter.
1) In the "real" world, does/will she have a daughter?
2) If so, when?
3) Does she have any other children?
4) Is Chavez married at the time of "Deadly Force" or "The Journey"?
2. I'm at home. Timeline is at work. Sorry. Ask again later.
3. Not as of 1996.
ok, the Space-Spawn have the power to destroy a planet:
1. have they had this ability for a while? like more than 100 or a 1000 earth years?
2. do they have many such planet destroying devices or just one or two? are they common parts of Space-Spawn military groups?
3. if they tried to destroy the Earth would it completly blow up the planet like a Star Wars Death Star or Titan AE kinda thing or would it just kinda melt the surface, boil the oceans, kill all life way of destroying the planet?
4. if they did blow up the Earth what would happen to Avalon?
5. in 2198, do any of the races on Earth have anything that could stop the Earth from being destroyed if the Space-Spawn wanted to?
1. I don't know.
2. It's not a unique device, but not common either.
3. Blow it up.
5. Potentially, but not with any guarantees.
<g> You've recently received a lot of timeline questions, perhaps encouraged by the fact you've recently indeed given more specific timeline information about things and events... So I am a bit embarrassed that my first question after a long time is also a timeline one...
Since Count Dracula exists in your universe, what year do you place the events that are described in (or which inspired) Bram Stoker's original novel?
Most modern adaptations of Dracula place them in 1897, the year of the novel's publication... but I had always thought that 1890 was a more reasonable date, since the story's epilogue starts with "Seven years ago we all went through the flames"...
That makes sense to me. But I'd have to do some real research into Dracula and Vlad Tepes, etc. before I pinned anything down for the GU.
I am a firm believer that ATLANTIS once existed. It sink deep into the Atlantic Ocean and has never been seen since. Edgar Cayce predicted that the western portion of ATLANTIS would surface in 1967 or 1968 and in 1968, then a huge stone road or wall was discovered off Bimini. It is commonly known today as the Bimini Road. Cool hunh?
It is theorized that ATLANTIS was powered by mystic crystals that eventually destroyed the fable island that Plato said was larger than Africa. He positions the fable island outside the Pillars of Heracles, which are known today as the Striats of Garbiltor. (Excuse the spelling)
Are you a believer?
Well there were a bunch of crystal's in Disney's Atlantis movie and in Team Atlantis.
Are you asking me about within the Garg Universe or in my real life?
Just got done reading the Greg Weisman section of the archives. Time for a LONG rant.
I wanted to tell you at the gathering, but I forgot. which angers me to no end, because i went on and on about this at work for months before i left for LA. in awakenings, elisa makes the number three on her hand. you said how odd it was that the japanese animation studio had her make three in that particular way, with the thumb, index and middle fingers. the reality is that thats the PROPER way in AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE to make the number three. they must have looked it up to see "how americans do it." what people usually do as three, with the thumb holding down the pinky, is actually "six" in sign language. and the thumb holding down the index finger is "nine" (with the middle being eight and the ring finger being seven.) a 'hitchikers thumb' is ten. :)
speaking of awakenings, the "nice mask" comment isnt in the "movie". i was mad. i pouted all night last night.
re: goliath and elisa needing help to have a child
technically, theyre closely related enough that they prolly could have a child. that child would not be fertile tho. a Stallion and a female donky can have a hinny, a Mare and a male donky can have a mule, but neither a mule nor a hinny can have offspring. though, in your book, a garg and a human may be way farther from eachother than a donkey and a horse. despite the fact that donkeys and horses arent nearly as related as they look.
I know you dont think this way, but humor me for a second. if you were an animal, what would you be? Tore (my fiancee) would be a polarbear. he likes red meat. he likes the cold. he LOOKS like a polarbear, even when hes not overweight. he acts like one. people give him the respect of one. and he's all white collar(fur) on the surface, and blends in with the crowd(snow) but underneath hes jet black(covered in tattoos, a closet freak ;P) it took a long LONG time to find an animal for me. im nocturnal. im cute. im mostly herbiverous, but not completely. i like florida's hot and muggy weather. i sleep a lot. we went through many rodent and lemur species before settling on flying squirrel.
on the topic of what names mean (oh wise one :) my full name is Kelly Leigh Creighton. Kelly started as a gaelic name, i think spelled calleach, pronounced ka-LEE-ack(phlem sound here). Then the irish clan the O'Kellys took the name. and they were a big factor in the liberation of ireland. so it became fashionable to name boys Kelly. then in 1958 i believe, there was an actress named Kelly. so it became okay to name girls kelly. which is more the case now. anyway, Kelly means "warrior of the king" or "female warrior" Leigh is an english word still used today (in britan) which means "meadow". my last name, Creighton, started as a scottish name, and then spread to england and ireland, where it took many diversion such as Crichton, etc. my family roots have been traced to scotland. it means "near the creek." so fully, my name means "Female warrior of the King, in the meadow near the creek." i always wonder if i will find a meadow near a creek with some unmarked grave in it or something.
along the same track, have you seen the gargoyles code? its a long string of letters and symbols that, if you know how to read them, describes one's character. part of the code is for real life, and asks how obsessed you are. the maximum obsession is defined by one who would be willing to be a test subject for a mutagen that might make them a gargoyle. im one of those silly people. are you? doubt it... (thats not meant to be offensive, i just doubt youre that kind of person :)
at the gathering, while talking about all the spinoffs, specifically i think you were talking about 2198, you said "and its really sad that im still working on this." actually, i dont think its sad at all. im pretty happy about it. because it really is something special. and we all believe in you. its pretty cool that youre as obsessed with your own shows as your fans.
i also recently learned that you dont drink, and think smoking is pretty haneous (sp?). that rules. its nice to see other people out there like that, not just in the fandom too. its really rare these days. not that i didnt respect you before, but i really respect that, and in a way, appreciate it.
i read about how you fell out of the bunkbed when you were little. that reminded me of my bunkbet gymnastics. i hate using the ladder, since i can never find it when im sleep walking. (i sleepwalk a LOT). so ive trained myself to grab the bar on the side of the bunk, or if there isnt one, the lip underneat the bunk, and flip over the side to land on the floor. thing is, if i lose my balance i land on the edge of the bunk below, instead of the floor, and wake whoever is sleeping there. usually, though, since im sleepwalking, i wont remember that i did it unless they confront me about it in the morning. so no guilt ;P
on sleepwaling: i have recently discovered that any time someone tells me im dreaming, i get very angry at them and insist im not, even if i am. i have instructed my parents (specifically my mom, my dad did it anyway because he thought it was funny) to just agree with me, pretend i make sense, and send be back off to bed. o_O
ive wanted to tell you about my religion for some time, but ive been a little nervous to, because its a touchy subject with some people. but after reading your views, i feel like i can at least give you a short version, and it shouldnt be too bad. basically i believe that there are an infinite number of universes, all connected by a void. everything is true, in some universe or another. and some things can travel thru the void into other universes. so basically all religions are true, because there are an infinite number of universes. i simply choose to pray to an alternate set of dieties than the normally accepted ones. which isnt to say i put any less faith in God or Budda (sp?), etc. I just choose not to pray to him/them. which i think this kind of falls into your beliefs anyway, since you belive in alternate universes, and that all things are true. which is basically what my religion preaches. so youre Raptorian and didnt even know it ;P
theres actually scientific evidence coming to light to support the "theory" of alternate universes. cold dark matter, morphic fields, time as a fourth dimension, the possible non-existance of time... its fascinating. this thing that i knew all along is now getting proved by science. basically, the theory of cold dark matter states that there is a force in the universe that is more powerful than gravity. but it only partially exists in this universe, so it is hard to see and study. and most of the force it exerts is exerted in another universe, so were not even getting the full effect. morphic feilds is the theory that everything in the universe is connected by lines of force. this explains why when an atom is split, and two electrons go zinging away from eachother at high speed, one can look at the north/south orientation of one electron and know that the other electron is the exact same. because they are connected. which is why dogs know when their owner is comming home, even if the spouse does not. which is why people can sometimes instinctively know that something is wrong with a loved one, even if miles away. why twins, if separated, can still sense what the other is doing, even if they dont have a twin. why sometimes we can predict the future, or get flashes from the past. morphic fields trancend even time. there is also a theory that states that time is the fourth dimension. basically, since were three dimensional creatures, we can see the EDGE of things in TWO dimensions (meaning you can see the edge of a planar surface), and we can COMPREHEND things in the THIRD dimension (you cant see the edge of a 3D object, a coke can for example, the edge curves away from you and you cant see it. technically, it has no edge). fourth dimensional beings could see our EDGE, and comprehend the fourth dimension. we, as 3d creatures, can only measure what we think is the passing of time. a two dimensional creature could only measure the third dimension. of course there is another theory, who's own creator admits that its just a neat theory he came up with and doenst actually believe in. he said that maybe time doesnt exist at all. maybe we think time passes, just like when we watch a movie we think the pictures are going by, but its just many still frames. as in there is an alternate universe for each second in time. and we only think there is motion because at each second, we have the memories of all the things that have passed before. its an interesting theory, but im more inclined to think of time as the fourth dimension.
anyway, im done rambling for the night. please feel free to comment as you see fit, or not at all :)
I think that humans and gargoyles are biologically much further apart than horses and donkeys.
I already AM an animal. Homo Sapiens, I believe.
Even after your explanation, I'm still not sure what the Gargoyles code is. But no, I wouldn't want to be a mutagen guinea pig.
And I was being a bit fecetious and/or self-deprecating (given my audience) at the Gathering when I said it was 'sad'. Obviously, I enjoy still thinking about the property.
I do think smoking is a fairly heinous and shockingly stupid habit. Though I generally try not to preach. As for alcohol, I see nothing wrong with drinking in moderation -- for most people. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.
I'm Jewish. And a bit pagan. I believe in the religion of the Three Musketeers: "All for one, and one for all." Or something like that.
Time has also been referred to as the fourth dimension in the sense that it spots any point. You can spot a point in three dimensions and still miss it if you don't also measure it's location in time.
I read in the archives that you liked the Simpsons and Futurama.
1.Which episodes do you like the most?
2.What do you think of the new eiposdes thay had the last years (2-3 years ago)compared to the first ones (87-97)?
1. I have a number of favorites. A few Simpsons that spring to mind is Lisa learning about her fist love in the future; the chili cook-off; the first couple Side-Show Bob episodes; the one with John Waters; and many, many others...
2. I think that recent Simpsons though still funny are a bit too random for my tastes. No coherent storylines that take things through from beginning to end, rendering most themes that they half-heartily try to employ as useless. But I still watch cuz individual bits still make me laugh.
Futurama however has the energy and story strength that I think Simpsons is now lacking.
And King of the Hill may be better than both of them. (I don't like the art as much, but I've gotten used to it.)
someone commented they spent $40 on a sushi dinner for two.
o.O Tore and I tend to spend around $100 (no kididng, the bill from a group of eight people was $205 - $95 of it was from Tore and I.) and we dont drink alcohol. the idea of TWO sushi dinners for $40 boggles my mind.
oh yeah, my question: do you like sushi?
I like California rolls.