A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Will you make an adatation of The night Gwen Stacy died, and actually kill off Gwen?
Regarding Spider-Man villains that appear in the Ultimate universe, will you use their mainstream identities or their Ultimate identities for The Spectacular Spider-Man. The characters I am talking about are as follows:
Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley OR Harry Osborn)
Scorpion (Mac Gargan OR Peter Parker clone)
Carnage (Cletus Kasaday OR Gwen Stacy)
Seriously, guys, how many times do I have to say it?!! I'm not SCOOPING the third season!!
Here are some questions and comments:
1. In another fact about the Beetle, the other bad guy to fight him was Iron Man. As a member of Egghead's Masters of Evil, he fought the Avengers.
2. Though Mac Gargan was mentioned in "Final Curtin," this might be a hint for his appearance if the third season is confirmed. A reference linking to one your answered questions mentioned the appearance of Hydro-Man. True or False? If a Season Three is announced, will some of the villains you plan to include have their VAs made public?
3. When it came to Molten Man, he first met Spider-Man around the time of his high school graduation. Should the series continue, will you have an episode revolved around that?
1. I knew that.
2. What's the question, exactly? Voice actors are always listed on the credits. If you're asking if I plan to scoop the third season if and when it's announced, the answer is NO.
3. Around what? Graduation? We will depict the senior class (i.e. Rand and Kong) graduating in Season Three if we get a Season Three. That's a given, since the third season would obviously include the months of April, May and June at least, so I don't feel like I'm spoiling anything. It's not likely that Mark will graduate with Rand's class, since he missed finishing his Senior Year with Eddie's class by being sent to Juvie and then wound up getting sent to Rykers after only a couple months of being back in school. Whatever course work he needed to complete to earn a diploma obviously could not have been completed.
I have watched the first two seasons of Spectacular Spider-man and absolutely love them! I think the thing I appreciate the most is the fact my 3 yr old son and I can watch them with both of us being entertained. We can share that experience and take completely different things from the episode. Kudos for walking that tightrope. With the series moving to Disney XD I have a few questions. 1) How does the ratings thing work? We record and watch every episode that comes on and would LOVE for that to be counted as credit for you guys. I want to do whatever I can to ensure a third and forth season. 2) Is there somewhere or someone we can contact and/or email with our support for this series? I would hate for it to not get picked up. Keep up the good work if you get the opportunity!!
Thanks. I'm glad you and your son both enjoy the show. That was the intent, for there to be something for kids and adults without short-changing either demographic.
1. Unless you are a Nielson household, your personal viewing is not specifically counted, but IN THEORY if you and your kid are watching and a bunch of other folks like you are watching with their kids, then the odds are some Nielson family just like yours is mirroring your collective behavior and that DOES count in the ratings. It has to do with statistics, and I don't pretend to understand it really -- or even fully buy into it. But that's how it works. Again, IN THEORY, if you stop viewing the show it suggests that somewhere some Nielson family just like you has also stopped. So DON'T STOP!!!
2. You can try to contact Disney XD through their website or write a letter to them. It can't hurt.
How much does it cost to commission or create a series or season and how does that work?
sorry for my ignorance and ambiguity,
Um... costs really vary. A lot depends on the mode of production, the development budget, etc.
Episodic costs on Gargoyles averaged about $450K per episode, at least for the first 65 episodes. (I have no idea what the final budget was for Goliath Chronicles, but I imagine it was considerably less.) And those per episode costs do NOT include development costs, marketing costs, etc. So making a series is a VERY expensive prospect, which is why we need/put up with studios, networks and the like.
Greetings, Mr. Weisman. First off, let me say that it is an honor to be able to speak to you, regardless of whether my question is accepted or not. I truly wish I were able to meet you someday being a writer myself! If only my living in Puerto Rico were not so bothersome... (why not make a Gathering here? :3)
Anyways, on to my question. We all know the story: for reasons beyond us, Disney canceled the legendary Gargoyles TV show we all know and love, and then we got a certain spin-off fiasco. Then, literally a decade later, we get a gratifying notice: the comics! (which I will definitely buy this summer, hopefully, even if it's only the Clan Building trades.) But now, sadly, Disney's gone EPIC CANCEL on us. Again. Therefore, I must ask this question. Apologies if it has been asked, by the way. Here goes:
Has it crossed your mind to consult other animation companies, such as Viz, Funimation, Man of Action (creators of the excellent Ben 10 series) on acquiring the license off Disney, or perhaps giving the series a new animated show on a different genre, such as anime or CG? Hell, I'm pretty sure people would pack the theater if it were to be turned into an anime or CG, especially given the highly impressionable teenager crowd of today that's into these genres.
If you ask me, Gargoyles is definitely not doing well under Disney's wing- I mean, it was virtually untouched for a whole decade and more and would have been thrown into the dark hell of obscurity were it not for the fans-i.e. us, and I'd like to take the chance to thank the fans for doing everything the fandom has done.
Thank you very much for your time, sir. It has been an incredible privilege that you even read this letter. Greetings from Puerto Rico, God Bless and please keep giving us great stories to enjoy.
Wolf E. Urameshi
PS: Did I mention your Spider-Man series is awesome? If not, there we go. :)
First off, thanks for all the praise.
You're welcome to organize and hold a Gargoyles Convention in Puerto Rico. I'd be happy to attend too.
The reasons for Gargoyles being cancelled are NOT beyond us. I've laid them out many times, and you can find them by looking through the ASK GREG FAQ. Calling "Goliath Chronicles" a spin-off, isn't really accurate either. It was a third season, rebranded, and with different behind the scenes talent running the production.
And again, to be accurate, Disney didn't cancel the comics. Technically, SLG did, because they could not afford the license under the terms Disney was offering. But sales of the trades will determine whether we'll eventually be back.
And, yes, this question has been asked and answered MANY, MANY times, so check the archives for fuller answers. But briefly, there's no way Disney would release the animation license to another company. And bashing Disney's efforts doesn't further our cause.
Being that you've worked at Disney, as well as some comic book companies, I have a question regarding liscensed comics.
I've noticed that other companies have been publishing reprints of liscensed comics that were at one point published by Marvel (such as Dark Horse trades containing Marvel Comics Star Wars run).
If Disney ever was to show an interest in selling reprints of their 90s comics published by Marvel (i.e. Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, Gargoyles, etc) can they legally reprint them anytime they choose?
I would assume so, but it's not like I've personally laid eyes on the contracts.
This isn't really a question, but a conversational response to a question Rebel asked.
"Which part of the world did gargoyles first arise in? For example, humans apparently arose in Africa and then migrated almost everywhere else, and then evolved."
While there has been disagreement for years about precisely where and when our species evolved, the evidence is now accumulating very strongly on the side of the "Out of Africa" theory. The evidence is pretty strong now that our species had fully evolved into our modern form before migrating out of Africa, although other human species had migrated to Asia and Europe before we did.
That was my understanding, yes.
Ever been offered or interested in including the Gargoyles universe in the Kingdom Hearts series?
Never been offered. Would definitely be interested. (Not like they need my permission, of course.)
Some how I doubt this is your first crossover question, so I'm not going to go all FIRST on this one. Anyway: Which of the villains from Spectuacular Spider-Man do you think would be a good match for the Manhattan Clan, without it being too one sided?
I'll leave that to your imagination, Clark.
1. I am a huge fan of the show and I think that you have created the first truly perfect animated television series (it's not a question, but it's true).
2. I am also a fan of the J. Michael Straczynski run on ASM, will we see some of his villains (like Morlun, Shathra, est.) in any upcoming seasons?
3. Can you add in the Spider-Mobile, for one episode, just for the fun of it?
4. Will we be seeing Iron Patriot any time soon (I'm also a big Norman Osborn fan)?
1. THANKS! (Uh, which show are we talking about?)
2. No comment.
3. No comment.
4. No comment, but now I'm guessing you were talking about Spectacular Spider-Man, right?
In Gangland, when Silvermane is in his exo-suit, what exactly is it he uses against Spidey and the other crimelords? Is it sonics or some kind of energy pulse?
I think the latter, but that weapon was the brain child of director Jennifer Coyle, so you'd have to ask her to be positive.
Greetings from Spain, Greg :)
I've been gliding through the archives in the hopes of finding something, anything, that can help me remember what my absolutely vital question was las time Ask Greg was open (Ask Greg closed before I could submit it). I'm sure it was something super boring about insights and Gargoyle psychology (especially Goliath's, I find him complex and amazing) but well. I'll have to stick to the rant that went with it and spare you the question :D.
You've heard all kinds of praises and ear-candies about you and the show by now, so I really don't want to be boring and repetitive.But the fact is that more than twelve years after the show was first aired here, I'm still as hooked as I ever was. If not more. I was in college then (imagine, I'll love watching cartoons till the last day :D) and I couldn't believe how good that episode of this Gargoyles thing I randomly caught one day was. I ended up rushing out of classes for the rest of the term, not to miss a single episode more.
You've explained before how you really feel that the story it's out there somewhere, and you tapped into it, somehow. I understand what you mean. It feels that way. Exactly that way.
The characters are so dimensional that they make the story so intense and...well, real. To the point that I'm not only positive about it being the best tv show I've ever seen, but also feels like one of the best readings. Your story is better than 80% of the books I've read in the last, say, 12 years. One almost yearns for something like Gargoyles happening to the world, with the same intensity which half the female population around the world dreams of finding Mr. Darcy... And that is something I truly thank you for.
Goliath and Elisa deserve a special mention. I don't think I've fallen so in love with a fictional couple since..well..Mr. Darcy here and Elizabeth (mm..actually I think I might have subconsciously matched the two brooding heros with the two strong-willed women, even though their stories are so different..). No wonder Elisa couldn't get herself off Goliath's hook and viceversa. And by the way, going through the archives, I read something about clan wind ceremonies on Elisa's dying. I'm amazed, I couldn't even picture it. It's so sad, one or the other dying, that even if intellectually it's something obvious, I really don't want to know that far. Pretty childish of me I guess but, well. I want some things eternal :D
For a Gargoyles unconditional, I guess I was born in the wrong country, lol. But one day, who knows! I just hope Gatherings are still happening.
Thank you so much, Greg, for a lot of reasons. Not only for the show and the comics and being here to feed the beasts from time to time, but for your dedication. For not giving up. For believing in what you do, and therefore allowing some of us to go along for the ride, and end up believing in what WE do (doomed-storyteller here :))
Wish you all the best, Greg, and I really hope you can find soon a way to let the story go on. The clan would want you to ;)
PS: Just so you know, I showed Awakenings to Tania, a dear friend, and she watched the entire show, plus TGC (which she didn't really enjoy as much, by the way) in less than ten days.
PPS: I hope my english was understandable enough, by the way!
Hey, I'll take all the Jane Austen comparisons (particularly favorable ones) that you want to dish. I'm a big fan. And I'm sure she was (at least) an indirect influence on my work.
And your English is just great. Thanks for all the kind words.
A few questions about The Spectacular Spiderman:
1) Has the real Mysterio even crossed paths with Spidey at all, not counting the pre-Mysterio encounter in "Persona"? Just wondering because of the running gag about Mysterio's robot doppelgangers.
2) In âPersonaâ, who hired Chameleon and who hired Black Cat?
3) Do you plan on having Felicia Hardy appear out of costume in a future season?
4) Was there any significance to the lone pumpkinhead goon who got away at the beginning of "Final Curtain"?
1. Define "crossed paths".
2. No comment.
4. Yeah. He got away with all those weapons loaded in the truck. So even though Spidey webbed up the majority of goons at that heist, the weapons still made it to Gobby's Gob Squads.
So, first, gushing praise: I've been a Spidey fan since my dad bought me my first comic, and I'm one of the ones that says that Spectacular Spiderman is the best adaptation to hit the screen (big or little).
Next, a few backstory questions:
1. What happened to Gwen's mother in this continuity? Are the Stacys divorced or separated (as in Ultimate Spiderman) or did something happen to her?
2. Next, kinda wondering how Harry, a rich, not terribly bright kid, ended up being best friends with two geeks, and the circumstances around that. Middle school/high school cliques being practically forces of nature unto themselves, Harry linking himself with the "brains" probably would have upset socially conscious Sally long before the spider bite and complaints about "upset social order" (which was pure gold, by the way).
3. Eddie mentions that his and Peter's fathers were lab partners together. In what field? (And was there anything "funny" about that plane crash?)
4. Where *did* Peter get his costume and equipment from?
And one last question:
Where is a good place to check to find out about the current status of The Spectacular Spider-man and the third season? Keeping an eye out here on new questions is a bit... clunky.
1. She passed away. I'm actually thinking breast cancer, but don't hold me to that.
2. I think Harry is actually pretty smart, just not on Pete or Gwen's level in science. And certainly his father cares more about grades than football or popularity, and we all know how important Norman's opinion was/is to Harry.
3. No comment.
4. We'll reveal this eventually.
5. Sorry, but I don't know where else to send you. You can try some of the boards like ToonZone or SuperHeroHype, but I lurk there occassionally, and I see a LOT of misinformation. Sometimes it's innocent. Someone presents a theory or opinion. And days or weeks later, someone misremembers it as fact. Other times, I feel like certain people willfully post misinformation for their own reasons.
Folks at Sony are feeling pretty good about Spidey's recent ratings on Disney XD. Here's some info...
Returning to its regular time period, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN "Nature vs. Nurture" delivered a season high 1.71 B6-11 Rtg, up +67% from its season average (1.02).
The 18-episode marathon on 5/25/09 improved significantly over the time period's prior 4 week averageâ¦ +279% in B6-11 Rtg, +250% in B6-14 and +226% in B9-11.
Second Season episodes will begin airing Monday 06/22/09. Check local listings for times.
This is probably a very akward question to ask, but it's been bugging me for a while so I just have to ask. A lot of your spin-offs involve the Gargoyle timeline further along than it started and closer to our real life present time, so I was wondering: Will the Gargoyle and their world's timeline involve themselves with 9/11 or make reference to it or would that be too controversial and be glossed over? Again sorry if this is inapropriate, I just wanted to know your take on the issue.
It's not innappropriate, it's just been asked and answered multiple times before. Please search the archives.
Dont think Im perverted for asking this but after seeing Goliath and elisa's relationship on the show I just got really curious,is it possible for gargoyles to mate with humans not reproduce just simply mate.
I found out what the ratings were for Spectacular Spider-Man: low. Does this kill the chances of season 3? Does it worry you, or are they expected to increase come the next season?
Your information has no context. From what I've head, relative to other Disney XD fair, the ratings have been decent.
Obviously, I'd prefer them Spectacular, but since the second season hasn't even aired yet, we are still in wait and see mode.
Hello. Does Greg have a MySpace page?
Greg, what films are you a fan of and how have they inspired and/or influenced your work on the creation of Gargoyles?
Uh, I'm not going to list all the films I like. That would take forever. There's no specific film that jumps out to me as a direct influence on Gargoyles, though as I've said before, television series including Gummi Bears, Bonkers and Hill Street Blues were major direct influences on Gargoyles. In any case, check the "Influences" archive here at ASK GREG for more info.
I've read before that Disney rejected the idea of producing a live-action movie of 'Gargoyles' back in 1996. Exactly elements do you believe in the animated series could not possibly merge into live action?
Huh? I don't understand the question. But in any case you have your facts wrong. Disney pursued a live action Gargoyles from 1994 'til about 1999 give or take. Then they shelved the project.
i love your version of spiderman it keeps me entertained and i just can't seem to be patient for the next one. i like yours for various reasons. one of them being of that gwen stacy is the main love interest not mary jane. Which is cool cause it's not like the original but i do know how things can change around. You can make relationship not work(which would be a drag) or even kill her off which brings to my next point, i don't like the original Spiderman story because everyone dies: Gwen Stacy, Mary-Jane, Aunt May, Harry, the Sandman etc. its so DEPRESSING. i just pray that you make a good story and end it good if not great(you have so far). Also just wondering do you have and idea when season 3 will debut?(not in America cause i know season 2 is starting over here)
I know Aunt May has died at least once, but that wasn't permanent. Even Harry is back. And I don't ever recall Mary Jane or Sandman dying. But maybe I missed that.
As for Season Three, please, please check the archives.
What are the titles for the second, third and fourth story arcs in The Spectacular Spiderman? I know that the first is Biology 101, and you recently posted the titles for the ones from season 2 (Engineering 101, Human Development 101, Criminology 101, Drama 101). And will you ever revisit certain subjects/modules/courses of study in future seasons (for example, by having a Biology 102)?
I'm not running out of titles yet.
Human Development 101
this was buggin me for a while. is Hammerhead's driver someone from the comics?
PS: this is not a question. One of the reasons I want so bad season 3 is to see what you will do with Hobgoblin. You used many of Hobby's aspects for Green Goblin - the whole framing other people thing, Osborn taking the green in small doses so he wont become insane, heading to Carribean (probably???). All of this happens to Roderick in the comics so I'm very curious what you will do with Hobgoblin.
Is Ben Urich off limits in The Spectacular Spiderman? If so, does that mean that Phil Urich is off limits too?
Ben is off limits. I'd have to check on Phil, but if I had to guess, it's likely he's off-limits too.
1. So now that Norman is dead to the world, where does this leave Vulture? Is his place in Ock's organization and his Spider-grudge enough to keep him in the rogues' gallery, or will he figure "mission accomplished" and hang up his wings? Is this topic something that we should expect to see explored next season?
2. Without getting into spoiler territory, was the Tombstone/Venom scene meant to be building to something? I can't decide if it was a one-off and meant only to highlight what Spidey wouldn't do, or whether I should keep that connection in the back of my mind for future use, as an unresolved plotpoint.
Speaking of Venom, it just occurred to me that they are the only ones that would still think Harry is the Goblin. Unless Gobby's identity is public knowledge by now?
3. Someone asked a question earlier, but I didn't think your answer was the most clear (you seemed to be responding only to another part of his question): Was Mysterio ever in jail? Was the Beck who talked to Lee a robot, or was it the real deal, and he escaped at a later point?
4. Was Tinkerer working for Tombstone because he had defected or was he merely lending his services for a fee? If the latter, why would Otto let him give the enemy weapons when he knows a gang war is looming?
5. I had assumed that the money Norman got from Kingsley was being used solely for his getaway to the islands. Someone else thought he had used the entirety of his unmarked account to rig the city for his duel with Spidey. Which is correct? Or is it a combination?
1. No comment.
2. No comment.
3. Though I have my opinion, I'll leave this up to the interpretation of the viewer.
4. Tinkerer is a freelancer.
5. He has the money. How he spends it is his business.
Hey Greg I've been the biggest Spectacular Spider-Man Fan. After Season 2 ended I was thinking what could happen. So I'm making a Novel called Spectacular Spider-Man The Big Change. Now I need to get get this approved by you so can make a Comic Novel edition for the fans. i really want to publish this Novel to the world. I'm not really a good artist so can you get somebody to make the Comic Novel Edition. I'll tell the Plot once I'm done with it.
Hey, have fun with your project, but please do NOT involve me. If you're wondering why I'm passing, please review the guidelines here at ASK GREG once again.
Will 90's Spiderman Cartoon ever come out on DVD.
I thought it was.
None of my local stores carry anything Gargoyles. Would buying it from Amazon suffice?
In Gargoyles 2158, you said Deliah will be uncomfortable about having human genes from Elisa. How will she even know she has this since Gargoyles are raised communally?
It's Gargoyles 2198 now. You might check that archive. Beyond that, I'm not going into any details about Delilah at this time.
Which week in March does âFinal Curtainâ take place?
Will the couple that Spider-Man saved (and ended up marrying) make further appearances in the series? Do they have any established names and are they going to be Spider-Man's equivalent to the Yuppie Couple?
*** SPIDEY SPOILERS ***
Okay, so, I exist in the Spectacular Spider-Man Universe, and I was Norman Osborn's chauffeur at one point. Harry mentioned me as the worst chauffeur ever, and that he thought his dad was going to pop a vessel.
Okay, so later on, Norman went nuts, and became the Green Goblin. He went after the Big Man, tried to kill Otto, and just plain went nuts on people he doesn't like.
Am I still alive in the Spectacular Spider-Man Universe? I think that if I had that guy mad at me, it's okay for me to inquire to my present health.
Where am I now in the Spideyverse? ;)
*** SPIDEY SPOILERS ***
Dude, could this question be any more self-aggrandizing if you tried?
But somehow I doubt that Goblin ran around avenging every petty annoyance. I mean, hell, I let you live.
in a previous response, you stated about the Spectacular Spider-Man series, "We have been provided with a list of characters as per Sony's contractual agreement with Marvel." it's obvious that you cant reveal the characters, but can you at least tell how many they are? can you reveal the characters? :)
I don't have the list with me. And even if I did, it's a legal document. It's not my place to go into detail about it.
How do you decide what villains/characters to include in Spider-Man? Is it a matter of what they can provide to the story, personal preference, or is their a certain formula to balance out well known and not as well known characters?
It's a very organic process. Basically what feels right, respecting the core of the characters.
WHEN IS SRMTHFG GOIN TO HAVE NEW EPICODES IM A hUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE FAN
I'm pretty sure that show (Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!) is out of production.